Chapter 2

"Laur? Dinah?" Demi called, her footsteps echoing in the foyer as she shed her coat. Her internal monologue halted when she registered the sound of a heartbeat and a human scent inside.

"Lauren", she addressed me silently, "..are you and Dinah entertaining a guest?"

I glanced at Ari, who was sitting on the sofa, playing with the tassel on a throw pillow like it was the most fascinating thing she'd ever seen. It was the only reason she had conceded when I'd set her down. It had also distracted her from the whole "hunry" thing, whatever that was. I kept a vigilant eye on her, worried that she might topple off the couch and through the glass coffee table next to it.

Dinah plopped down next to her. Ari giggled as her weight jostled her side of the couch, clapping her hands.

"Not exactly," I replied, unsure how to explain the strange situation we found ourselves in. Dinah remained quiet, used to my one-sided communication with our best friend. "Come see."

Demi was in the living room before I could blink, her gaze sewn to Ari. Ari squealed in recognition, reaching a hand out to her.

"Winnie!"

Demi gave her a huge, silly grin. I couldn't help but laugh, never having seen her so carefree with anyone aside from Dinah and myself.

"Hello, sweetheart," she greeted her, tickling Ari under her chin. "It's been a while since I've seen you, Ariana. You've grown." Ari giggled at her attention.

Dinah smirked. "I see you guys know each other."

Demi's confusion was evident. "What is she doing here? Is Ms. Grande here, too?"

Dinah, never one to mince words, was blunt. "Ms. Grande left her kid on our doorstep, Demi. You care to explain what's going on?"

Demi's eyebrows knitted together.

"She's one of my patients. It's not really my place, but I stand in as a family doctor for a few families who can't afford healthcare. The Grandes are one of them."

Dinah's lips quirked, she was expecting more than just a little background information. "And?"

"And?"

Dinah sighed and thrust the envelope full of paperwork at Demi.

"You've been named as Ari's legal guardian," I added, pausing to prop up the little girl who was curiously examining the floor beyond the edge of the couch and about half a second from toppling off of it. "There's a bunch of legal stuff that Dinah says is legit."

Demi skimmed through the documents, papers fluttering rapidly as she read all the pertinent information.

"I swear I had no idea she was planning this." She sounded a lot calmer than I felt. You'd think we were discussing the weather, not the fate of a human being. "Ms. Grande was always a sweet woman… a single mother doing the best she could. She seemed to love Ariana very much."