Chapter 22: Calm Before the Storm

In typical cowboy fashion, Archer leaned against the wall, lit his cigarette, and watched the C-130 touch down on the Hereford Runway. He realized since he was going on missions, he hadn't smoked in a while.  Making up for lost time, Archer guessed.

Originally, Credenhill RAF Base was a non-flying station, but in the revitalization of Team Rainbow, it oversaw the installation of a fully capable runway and hangars to transport operators to their Area of Operations. Having a global special operations force in one location ment that flying was a necessity.

As Archer leaned, he heard a door open nearby and saw Ding approaching him. Archer saw him, then went back to plane watching.

"You must really like her, huh?" Ding held his hands in his coat pockets.

Archer offered a drag to Ding, which he accepted, "Yeah, she's nice."

"But?" Ding asked handing the cig back. He could sense the conflict in Archer.

"But, you know who we are. I can't have that life. I'm a just an apparition. One that gets people hurt." He remembered Elena's injury, and the unknown toll that home invasion had on her family.

"Well, she seemed to stick with you this far."

"That's the problem, man. I don't want her hurt, or even..." Archer couldn’t bring himself to say it, "This life puts her at risk."

"Well, look me and my wife. She accepted my life. It's tough on her, not seeing me, but if she sticks with it, she's the one. Hell, she knows this life. She's already experienced it. I'd say she could handle her own." Ding was making decent points.

Archer saw Elena step off the plane ramp, her rucksack slung across her back and her shoulder length brunette hair flowing from the chilly wind.

She spotted Archer fairly easily, with his trademark denim coat and shaggy dark golden hair. A grin crept on her face as she recognized him. She hurried to meet the pair.

Archer also smiled, watching her rush up to them.

When she reached them, Elena hugged Archer so suddenly she knocked him off balance. "Hey, now!"
Archer laughed, regaining his stance and hugging her back. Before Archer could say anything else, she connected lips with him.

After a long passionate kiss, she relented and locked eyes with him. "I missed you."

Ding noticed Archer looked to be at his happiest, but Ding picked up Archer's reluctant vibe.

"What is it?" She asked, almost frightened.

"Elena, we need to talk." Archer said, as Ding realized what he was about to do.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt, but you need to brief up and get ready for an upcoming mission." Ding wanted to stop Archer from ruining his future with her.

"What's happening?" Elena asked Ding, letting go of Archer.

"We're invading The Bahamas in a couple of days. US Navy, Marine Crops, Rainbow and CIA joint op. We're leaving for the USS Ronald Reagan tonight. Are you a hundred percent?"

Elena thought for a second, "Yeah. I'm ready to move."

Archer gave Ding his death gaze, he didn't want her on the Op, hoping Harry would mark her down as "unfit for duty". Archer wasn't so lucky.

"Rainbow Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie Platoons are flying for Key West at twenty-two hundered hours, then linking up with the Fourth Fleet in the Caribbean. Get your self situated." Ding paused, turning to Archer, "I got some SOG candidates assisting us on this one."