"Really? Well it doesn't matter what you remember or not. I, Apollo, the first born of Artemis, the Mood Goddess, challenge you for your place in the council. Right now," he announced. Chatter erupted throughout the room, people in disbelief of who Apollo was and people in disbelief of us challenging him.

The color drained of Wilson's face. "You can't do that! I need time to prepare!"

"Time to try and murder me like you did with your own son?"

Wilson transformed immediately in an attempt to catch me by surprise. Apollo was faster. Xander transformed into his wolf form while I stayed in my human one to grab Wilson by the scruff. I threw him down on the ground by Xander's feet, allowing me time to transform as well. Wilson was strong, I'll give him that. He put up more of a fight compared to Vance, snapping at Xander, who hovered over him.

Once I approached the two fighting wolves. Xander and I were able to turn into one, causing several gasps throughout the room.

Your reign is over, Wilson. Don't mess with the gods. Apollo declared to all of the wolves in the room through mindlink.

And with that, Apollo snapped the neck of the struggling wolf. Once he backed away from the lifeless body, he turned to address the crowd.

There has been too much corruption over the years. My mother has expressed her disapproval, and therefore sent me to bring reform. I am requesting to be the chairman of the council, along with my humans, Blazen and Xander King. Together, we will work to fix the problems in preparation for the next generation.

Frederick was hovering over Wilson's body, clearly enraged by the situation. He looked up with tear-stiken eyesー eyes that fell on Ace and Lyle in the corner. He lunged at the two, clearly understanding that they were our mates. Before Apollo could even make a move, a golden knife was securely lodged into the man's neck.

Everyone paused to look wide-eyed at Quinn, who stood nonchalantly in his place as if he did not murder a man.

There was a moment of silence before Quinn yelled, "Hail, Apollo!" in an almost mocking way. No one seemed to notice the incubus rolling his eyes while shouting. A murmur from the crowd repeating Quinn erupted, followed by all the council members hesitantly kneeling before Apollo's giant wolf.

Apollo relinquished control back to Xander and I, so we transitioned back to humans. As soon as we did so, we hesitantly took Wilson and Fredrick's seats at the table. "Shall we get started with the logistics?"

...

Everyone was clearly still in shock, but also relieved, at the earlier events. They swiftly filled us in on all of the business and overall how the council works. We made it clear we weren't going to be "ruling" the council, simply being a dutiful member to inform the council of the Moon Goddess's wishes. Quinn made a few snarky comments about the Moon Goddess, all of which offended the members, but I just glared at the incubus to silently tell him to keep his mouth shut.

Once we wrapped up, Xander and I stood. "Thank you for being welcoming. Please reach out to us with any concerns. We will be transferring our Alpha title so that will not be a conflict. We will see you at the next meeting," I announced with Xander nodding diligently along next to me.

An older council member, I think whose name was Steve, stifled a laugh. "Next time don't bring the human who insults the Goddess."

Quinn didn't hold back a roar of laughter. He laughed so hard he was wheezing and had to keep himself up by his hands. I didn't dare speak for the incubus once I noticed the fire in his eyes.

Once he settled himself, still giggling slightly. "Oh my, I threw a knife at the speed of light and accurately hit my target from across the room, and you think I'm a human?" He giggled again, moving closer to the man. Quinn's eyes were wild, daring anyoneー everyoneー to speak against him.

"I am not human, but she is not my god. I have told her to fuck off to her face. We are on different levels here, so you can, respectfully, shut your mouth, dog."

Everyone seemed appalled by Quinn's words, which caused a satisfied smirk to ripple across his lips before he opened the door and promptly left. Ace followed after him. Lyle gave me an amused look and shrugged before following the two.

"Meeting adjourned!" Xander called, rushing after his mate before anyone could object.

It was a quiet start to the car ride home. Mostly just Alpha making comments about how the justice system has changed and that he wasn't quite sure if it was for the good or not. Once the conversation fell silent again, Lyle nudged the back of Quinn's chair. Quinn turned to give all of us a deadly stare, though Lyle's guilty look made it obvious who did it.

"Was it true what you said about telling the Moon Goddess to go fuck herself? I couldn't tell if you were lying because it was funny, or you are really just that badass and somehow found yourself in that situation," Lyle rambled, pausing every few words to contemplate his thoughts.

Quinn shrugged, giving no further explanation before turning back around to the front of the car.

"No fucking way. That's a yes, isn't it?"

"Watch your language," Alpha snapped at Lyle, who didn't even flinch.

"Tell us, Quinn! You are such a mystery!" Lyle continued to pester.

"Lyle, don't make him talk about something he's clearly not ready to talk about," Ace interrupted, using his soft Luna tone that got all the Alphas' attention.

Quinn turned back around, but instead of looking at Lyle, his eyes landed on me. "Well, do you think I was wrong to do so? You've seen how she acts."

All eyes were on me now, clearly confused on how I fit into the equation. "I think she is just worried about you, but has trouble expressing her worry without directly interfering."

Quinn scuffed as if I said something ridiculous like cows were flying. "Why would she worry about me? My life is none of her business," Quinn continued to claim.

I narrowed my eyes on him. "We both know that you are her business. And she clearly has reasons to be concerned considering our starvation attempts."

Lyle leaned over to me, "I'm missing something, why is Quinn her business?"

"I've been perfectly fine without them for 17 years, what makes them think I need them now?"

"They have been there more than you know and have gotten you out of quite a lot of sticky situations, but you don't care to see that," I fired back, feeling weirdly protective over the idea that family can have good intentions.

"Well she shouldn't get involved. I don't need her. She isn't my mother."

"No, but she is your aunt," I fired back without thinking. I watched as Quinn's face fell. Any words that may have been bubbled up, deflated due to my statement.

The rest of the car ride was silent even though I could tell Lyle was riddled with questions.

Quinn hopped out of the car before it even came to a full stop. I sighed, knowing I threw in his face the reality he couldn't come to terms with yet. The reality that his father was the God Apollo, and his aunt was Artemis, the Mood Goddess. The reality that he isn't who he thought he was.