- One A Night -

Reader's POV
The changing was horrific. I know how Gally felt now, and I totally understand him completely. I felt pain, worse than I've ever felt, I saw Thomas helping them hurt me, I saw the girl led in the next bed helping them hurt me too. I saw brain pictures and profiles of us all. I know now the maze is a test and we have to find our way out soon or people are going to start dying. They will kill one person a night until we escape.

"Hey Y/N! Ready for the meeting?" Jeff waltzed in happily, I looked over at the girl and scowled, then I got up and walked, my leg was feeling much better but still aches a little, both my shoulders ached but I had felt much worse pain than that and it doesn't bother me. "Yeah!" I said as I walked past the empty bed that Alby was once in.

"Greenie!" The boys said in unison as I walked through the door, I couldn't help but smile. Alby, Newt, Minho, Gally, Thomas, Frypan and Winston were stood at the front of council hall. I walked easily down the steps to join them, Newt's face lit up as I walked over to him and entwined my fingers with his.
"Ok. We know where the grievers go. But we don't know the code to open the door." Minho said loudly. Apparently whilst I was sleeping Thomas and Minho found the door. "We do know the code Minho!" I said sharply, as I thought about the maps, the keepers looked at me. "The letters, they must make up some words!" I said letting go of Newt's hand. "Okay then...today some of us will spend the day deciphering the code." Newt said walking forward. He pointed to Minho, Alby, me and Thomas. "We will do that while the rest of you start gathering things together and carrying on as normal! Off you go!" He said and the boys left the room quickly. "Um Newt. Theres something else you should know" I said speaking closely to him. "During the changing...I saw...uh well...ok so someone is going to die every day until we find a way out." Newt looked at me in disbelief "how? The doors always close at night Greenie!" He replied, "I don't know, let's just be on guard ok?" He nodded and we walked out of council hall and over to the map room.

Minho and Alby already had the maps out in the basement. Alby looked like he wasn't trying and Minho was aimlessly throwing pieces of paper around. Newt and I sat down and started to ponder over the maps and the letters.
We spent the whole day gathering letters, it wasn't Until the screaming started when we stopped. We all put down the papers and ran upstairs towards the door. We ran through the few trees and saw a small group of boys around the still open maze walls. Other boys were running over and then Chuck tapped me.
"What's happening man?" I said to him, "it's...the...maze. It's...not closing" he said through deep breaths from running. "I told you Newt!" I said looking up into his saddened eyes. "Ok get everyone to the homestead. NOW!" He started quietly and then his voice raised into a shout. "Thomas Minho...tell everyone to hide!"

Most of us were in the homestead, the doors and windows shut or boarded and we were in pure darkness, some of the boys were in council hall and others in different places. Newt wouldn't let me leave his side, I knew Thomas, Minho and Chuck were in the homestead with us because I saw them before we were plunged into darkness but I didn't know where the others were. I was worried for their safety. I was sure that only one person would die tonight, but that's still one person too many. I know these boys, they are the only family I have and one of them is going to die every day until we can get out of here. This thought sent a tear down my cheek.

That's when the familiar shrieking started. The grievers would be doing the killing.

I heard screams from outside, I shushed the boys in the homestead. "What's happening?" Someone whispered. "Shhh" I said calmly and the boy listened.

"JAMES!" I heard someone outside scream. The grievers had taken, no. Killed James. He was a runner. He was my friend. Another tear streamed down my cheek and I felt Newt's grasp on me tighten. I shrugged him off and fumbled my way to the door.
"FIRE!"
I opened the door and saw boys running towards the trees, I saw the tail of a griever disappear through the maze doors. I followed the direction and saw flames coming from the direction of the map room. "NO" I shouted. And I ran, as quickly as used to run through the maze towards the map room. I pushed past the boys and was stunned by the sheer hear of the wood burning. "The maps!" I shrieked and I started sending the boys away for buckets of water, I made sure everyone stood back and then Minho, Newt and Thomas caught up and were just as taken a back by the blaze as I was. "Shuck it the bloody maps!" Newt shouted and he limped back to help the boys with the water.

50 buckets of water. That's how much it took for the map room fire to dull down. The walls were ash and the wooden chests full of the maps were gone.
I slumped to the ground, "our one way out were those maps. They are gone! HOW ARE WE GOING TO GET OUT NOW!" I started hammering at the ground with my fist and felt Newt's hands on my shoulders shouting at me, I couldn't make out what he was saying. Thomas knelt in front of me and held my hands to stop me from hitting the ground I looked at him in the eyes. "Y/N! It's okay! Stop! It's ok! We'll figure this out Y/N stop!!" His voice calmed me down and I fell into his arms. "Come on." And he helped me up onto my feet. Newt lifted me up and carried me back to the homestead.

We all sat around looking saddened. "What the shucking hell do we do now?!" Minho said breaking the silence.
I sat on my bed with Newt and I tried to think about what we are going to do next but all I could think about was James and the hope that he died quickly with no pain.