toss up of truth

play song throughout (song name is house of the rising sun by the animals)

"(y/n), I can't do this again.", Rintarou panics as I speed up the car.

"You think I can?", I respond quietly. I feel my hands shaking and sweating on the wheel. "Turn around and look at the other car."

"I-I can't.", he looks frozen in place.

I purse my lips and quickly glance over my shoulder. My heart almost stops at who I see. Rintarou must've notice my body stiffen, as he asks, "Who...who is it?"

"There's like three people, one of them is your sister. Couldn't see the others.", I answer monotonously, now focusing back on the road ahead.

"Remy?!", he shrieks.

"No, your other sister.", I deadpan. "Yes, Remy."

"Maybe I could...talk to her? I'm sure she'd at least hear me out-"

"Are you crazy?! She's literally stalking us. Plus, you hit her with a car. I'm not too sure she'd want a friendly hug after that."

Rintarou doesn't reply.

The harsh draft from the hole in the back window ices the back of my neck, making it feel numb and tingly.

A strong, pungent scent of fuel also sneaks into the interior, making me wish I had an electric car of some sort.

The main thing on my mind though, the fact that Remy has a gun, and we don't. So if she catches us, or even manages to get her aim just right, we'll get hurt, or worse.

Once again, my mind goes back to that sombre, reminiscent state. The reflective, life flashing before your eyes state. An overwhelmed and borderline unresponsive state, which makes the whole situation a lot more dangerous.

"Oh my God, is that Amira?!", Rintarou's voice echoes through my head.

"Huh?"

"Amira, she's in the driver's seat!"

"Well, her recovery time was miraculous.", I joke, feeling my anxiety grow bigger and stronger.

"And there's, a boy, he's got dark green hair, looks about our age. He's in the back, but like, leaning forward."

I rack my brain, trying to put a face to his description, and then it hits me.

"Do you remember that competition? The one I was at for track and you for volleyball."

"Yeah..."

"And you remember when we were on the way back, and you had it out with me because I had a bruise on my face?"

"Didn't have it out with you but-"

"Its the same boy."

"What the fuck?", he scowls and looks back over his shoulder. "Might have to do what you did to me last time and get out of this car."

"No, they have guns. That boy, I think he's like, a friend of Lani's. He said some stuff about us when he was tryna fight me, like how you're using me for sex and don't actually like me. Lani's said those exact things to me before. Plus, she did say she'd get someone else to handle me."

"So he's like...her accomplice?"

"You could say that.", I shrug.

"How the fuck does Remy know-"

His voice is cut off by a shrill, shrieking sound. It kind of sounds like that piercing noise you hear before the principal speaks through the intercom at school.