A Tragic End

Depuis le début

The seated King stood up, noticing the build up of water at the bottom of his feet. In another moment, the boat was starting to get swamped. The guards bailed water out of the bottom but the oncoming of water was continuous. 

"Jump across", Athreyathat looked at the barge behind them; Thasit and Subana were constantly looking at him. The guards stopped bailing water and looked at the King who had just said something uneacceptable. 

"Jump across and save your lives", he repeated. The guards stood bemused yet breathed a sigh of relief. Touching a member of the royalty, therewithal the King, came at a huge price, even if it was done to save lives. Not just the commoner who dared lay hands on the royalty but their immediate family would be executed for the same. One by one, as the water level soared, the guards jumped out of the boat, saving their own lives. 

"It won't be far when the people behind you will drown you for the same power you just attained. I hope you make a great King, uncle", he said before falling back into the river from the sinking boat. 

"The young King who dared not learn swimming because of a dim memory of drowning during childhood. What a tragic end", Thasit spoke through a radiant smile. 

"Leave the guards to collect the body. Turn the boat. We need to oversee the decorations at the palace", he raised his head looking at the golden spires of the royal palace shining in the first rays of the rising sun. 

"I finally have this Kingdom to myself!" He enthused. 

...

"The King is no more. People are saying he drowned!"
"I saw the Samuha Kalahom today, he was smiling!"
"So the Samuha Kalahom is the new King?" 

"I might have forgotten to do merits in my past life. This is the worse than I expected", Narath talked to himself as he scratched his head and sat beside the servants at a small stream who indulged in conversations as they beat and washed the clothes. 

"Enjoying the gossips? Take care not to let these slip in the presence of nobles. You never know who will snitch", someone spoke in a low voice getting closer to him. He looked back to see who it was. 

"Oh, Ayuseth", Narath got up and bowed, "..at least I know you won't", he smiled awkwardly and looked at him, "...right?" Ayuseth raised his brows and let out a chuckle. 

"You never know", he said walking back. 

"Hey where are you going? Let me join you", Narath said, jumping over a few rocks and following him. 

"I am going to practice. I have tried a few new notes", Ayuseth said, walking into the entrance by the back of the palace that led to the kitchen. Huge pots were set atop burning logs on a brick stove which had boiling noodles. In a huge stone mortar, a helper pounded red chillies, while another kneaded rice flour. The sweet and savory smell of melting sugar and eggs, along with the intense and sharp smell of the chilli paste filled the area. They walked past the kitchen into a courtyard meant for lower rank guards to practice martial arts. They took a left and carried on through corridors until reaching the same carved wooden door. 

"Are you going to follow me into my room?" Ayuseth spoke when he saw a delighted Narath follow him through the door. He stopped and turned around, holding out his hands sideways and resting his palm on the wooden panel on either sides of the door. 

"Can't I? Why? Do you have something to hide?" Narath asked, moving his head around peeping into the room. 

"I could say the same about you", Ayuseth said scoffing. Narath pouted his lips and nodded looking away. Ayuseth tsked, feeling guilty. 

"Why are you still here anyway? Aren't you done showcasing your performance?" 

"Well, Khru said we have to get the King's approval to leave", he shrugged his shoulders and took a step forward, "so, can I come in?" He asked folding his hands behind him and leaning forward. Ayuseth stepped aside defeatedly and shook his head. Narath walked in, biting into the red fruit he had picked up from the kitchen on the way. 

(Khru- Thai version of the Sanskrit word Guru meaning teacher)

"Oii", he made a distorted face which made Ayuseth giggle. Narath shook his head, throwing the half eaten fruit out of the window. He turned back to look at the room. More than half of it built in wood while rattan furniture decorated the space. A portion of the room was empty, only a taphone, a white piece of cloth and the ashes for the coating paste placed next to it. 

"Let me hear it", he murmured, "let me hear the new notes you tried", he smiled. Ayuseth looked at him, nodded and walked to the instrument while Narath stood on the wooden floor in front of it. 

...

Covered in soot, with rags wrapped around his arms and shoulders, he watched the messenger guards on their horses announcing Queen Mother's death followed by the King's. The central market had turned into chaos with people throwing around every conspiracy theory they heard. He hid his face and walked to a small restaurant asking for a tea and offering the payment. 

Having been together since a young age, both Ruangrith and Athreyathat had grown fond of each other's company. Athreya's father wasn't opposed to the Prince's friendship with a commoner either. Maybe it was a long time ago or was it recent? Ruangrith could never figure it out; his feelings for the Prince that weren't normal. All he knew was that it was forbidden; even the thought of it. He hadn't dared to even give it a name; a liking? Love? He was thankful that a commoner like him was able to even be in the same room as the King. 

A single tear dropped down his eye which he was quick to wipe. The woman brought a tea and kept it in front of him on the low table. He loosened the cloth that covered his face and took a sip from the mud glass. Running his fingers along the rim of the cup, he thought back into the conversation he had with the King that night. 

***

"My mother. Yesterday night, I felt like she knew this was going to happen, Ruang", he said holding his hands. The guard only looked down at the Athreya's hands wrapped around his, as they both sat beside each other on the Japanese carved and painted wooden furniture adorned with cushions and silk covers. 

"If something happens to me, I want you to promise something", Athreya said raising Ruang's face with his hand. 

"Ruang, you have been like a brother to me. My mother's last words, I'm going to entrust you with them. I don't have anyone else to", he said almost in tears. Ruang was no better, maybe it was the word brother or that he was the only one Athreya had, but he burst into tears sobbing into his hands. 

***

"Aunty Pennoy, the same for all of us", a group of teenagers walked into the restaurant. Ruang adjusted the cloth covering his face, leaving the half filled glass on the table and rushing out. The last thing he needed was people recognizing him. For the King's last wish to be fulfilled, he had to reach his destination without being discovered. He had to reach...Ligor. 

"I will find him, Athreya. I promise", he had said as he assured the King of carrying out the mission and he very well meant to keep it.