Chapter 16 - Mad Scientist

"Hello, I am Dr. Moreau."

A human woman garbed in a lab coat introduced herself when Jane and the couple entered the white, sterile room. They looked utterly stunned upon seeing a fellow human living amongst the yautja bad blood clan. Jane observed her in disbelief as Ray and Bau'jah did the same.

Dr. Moreau was a nerdy-looking middle aged woman with bob haircut just below her ears, she wore glasses, her face was expressionless and her eyes were stone cold, devoid of emotions. She actually reminded Jane of someone she worked with in the past. A torture specialist. Ed Carson's go-to person when all other forms of interrogations failed. Jane never knew her real name, but everyone called her either The Geek due to her dress style and appearance, or The Ghoul due to her vocation, she ran a body farm.
They shared the same dispassionate, cold-blooded quality, disconnected from the world.

"You are human, and you are working for the Blood Talons." Ray said in shock.

"Sorry, I'm not that rare. You're the one that's bonded with a yautja." Dr. Moreau replied flatly.

"Pardon my bluntness Dr. Moreau, but are you here by choice or by force?" Jane asked.

"By choice, of course," she looked at them like she had become inured to answering such question, "my research on human genetics is deemed unethical by those short-sighted scientists on Earth. What I did, I did with a purpose. The lives I took they all contributed toward something, some higher purpose. And they banned my research, then excommunicated me. At first I was furious, but it was a blessing in disguise. It led me here, where I can continue with my studies without any criticisms and restrictions. I have all the resources available to me that a scientist on Earth could only dream of. Yautja race is more advanced than us in every way. This is where I belong."

"Great. A mad scientist." Jane murmured to herself.

Human history had too many of them like Dr. Moreau. Most educated and brilliant men in science and medicine, who were searching for the so-called belief in the name of future humanity, willing to murder thousands to find it. But sadly, that was what they came here for. And Jane didn't exactly in a position to judge anyone. She probably did worse things than Dr. Moreau.

Then a yautja male in a mesh body suit came and spoke behind the doctor. "The preparation is complete. We may proceed when ready."

Dr Moreau nodded at her assistant, looking pleased. Enhancing human genetics with yautja DNA was one of the reasons why she decided to stay here, for Yautja was such a supreme, fascinating race. And today she finally got her chance.
She looked at the couple, said. "Now before the real procedure begins, I would need to do some tests. I also require DNA samples from both of you. After that, if all goes well, we can begin the first egg retrieval procedure."

"What are the chances of a successful insemination?" asked Bau'jah.

"Depends on the quality of her eggs. You two are different species. Her immune system will mistakenly reject your sperm and target it as an invader, even damages or kills it. But I have synthesized an immunosuppressant to stop or slow her immune system's response. She will feel weak and vulnerable to diseases after taking the suppressant. It is imperative that I must keep her in quarantine until the embryo is stabilized in her womb." She explained.

Ray and Bau'jah exchanged glances, his amber-gold eyes full of unsaid worries but she looked determined despite the risks. They had come this far. She had to give it a try.

"Just tell us what you need." Ray said firmly.

"Good. My assistant will begin with the blood work first." Dr Moreau replied.