Chapter 15 - The Emperor

Sa'kar was, without a doubt, a redoubtable clan leader. He looked intimidating with imposing height, at least eight feet tall, as he sat in his large throne that was made of bones from various creatures. Two yautja skulls decorated the throne on each side conspicuously.

He was clad in an elaborate black undersuit with silver seams which designed to enhance and show off his already impressive bulk. His armor was red with a gold exoskeleton reinforcing his boots, his gauntlet gloves, his torso and his chestplate. His eyes were red like blazing flame and his cruel face was sharply intelligent. He was easily to distinguish from his kind due to his pale grey skin which was smooth without any mottled patterns or markings, so were his dreadlocks.

One look at him was all it takes to keep any fool in line. Jane understood why Sa'kar was the most fearsome clan leader of Blood Talons. He was exactly what Bau'jah and Gahtan had warned her about: menacing, respected, manipulative, devious and ruthless. All rolled into one being. They were clearly dealing with a different breed of bad blood.

Ray was overcome with dread when Sa'kar strutted down a flight of stairs that were leading to his throne. His evil red gaze piercing. A red, flowing cape draped over his broad shoulders elegantly while he walked in between long lines of guards stationed at each side. His chief advisor Shur'ie, a light orchid blue yautja male, matched the long legged stride of the clan leader.

"Bau'jah, a name that is never spoken lightly," Sa'kar spoke as he sauntered over to him, his voice was deep and gravelly and cold, "your reputation precedes you."

"Likewise." Bau'jah replied. "Not many of my people get to receive such compliment from the infamous Sa'kar in person, and still alive."

"There is power in being infamous. Power that gives me control." Sa'kar chuckled, appearing unbothered by this remark. "The reasons for my actions are beyond your understanding, Bau'jah. Where you see the means of achieving my goals unscrupulous, I see ambition. Do not begrudge me for getting what I wanted. Here, I am The Emperor. And you are in my territory."

"Indeed." Bau'jah looked at him in the face, unafraid. "May I remind you, I came to you voluntarily."

"That is what I find most interesting." Sa'kar said. "You've taken a great risk coming here, why shouldn't I just have you killed right now?"

Bau'jah snorted, eyed him carefully. "Kill me and you will never find out the traitor hidden in your clan."

"The traitor?" Sa'kar was visibly shocked.

"That is impossible!" Shur'ie exclaimed next to his clan leader. "He is lying, my lord."

Bau'jah looked at the chief advisor Shur'ie amusingly, and continued. "Is my presence here not enough of a proof you needed? Or do you really think this is a mere coincidence?"

"We will find out soon enough." Shur'ie clenched his jaw. "Then your accusation will be proved false and groundless. And I shall execute you with great pleasure."

"Try as you may, you will be disappointed." Bau'jah replied.

Sa'kar remained silent as he pondered. He agreed with Shur'ie that there was no traitor in his clan. He ran a tight ship. He knew his bad bloods. No one in his clan would dare to undermine his command, let alone betray him. Any signs of rebellion would cost them dearly and the consequences wouldn't just be a quick death. That rule was established when the day he became the leader of Blood Talons, and he had cemented his position and power ever since.

But Sa'kar could not ignore the fact that Bau'jah had somehow located his clan location, in such a short time after his asteroid research base was exposed and destroyed by the arbitrators. He had his suspicion when the asteroid was lost. Now that suspicion grew and the odds compelled him to think otherwise.