Humility and Hiraeth

Start from the beginning

He followed her to the kitchen and Riva blinked in confusion. Hadn't he blatantly refused Badi Maharani sa's invitation to breakfast? How did his appetite work up so fast?

" Would you like some, Riva?" Ambika looked over her shoulder. Well, she had only nibbled a bit of toast and had some juice.

" Sure ." She nodded, observing the house.

It had a simple sitting area with blue coloured sofa and some wicker chairs.There were framed photographs of Gods and Goddesses on the walls. The kitchen was barely a few steps away from the main room. It was small but cozy. She watched Abhimanyu lean against a tiled wall and drink something out of a cup. Everything was normal here...yet completely new to her.

" Poha?" Ambika Ba handed her a plate , " You don't need to feel awkward.This is your home, too."

Riva took the plate and nodded politely. Give it some time, she told herself. Maybe she'll like this new place and the new college. Change shouldn't scare her, she should embrace it and go with flow.

" You're putting too much stress on that non-existent brain of yours." Abhimanyu whispered into her ear.

" Aren't you busy? You can go now and attend your princely duties." She replied dismissively.

" I don't have all day. I'm here only for Ambika Ba's poha. Oh, Man Singh would deliver your luggage in the evening." Abhimanyu sipped his tea and continued , " Make sure you keep a low profile. If you need lessons in being boring, you can ask Aditi."

" Aditi is my daughter ," Ambika said warmly, as if not hearing Abhimanyu's mockery," she's in second year. She'll help you figure out college and stuff."

" Right, of course." Riva said tonelessly.

Abhimanyu glanced at his expensive looking watch and said," I'd better be going. I'll leave her in your capable hands, Ambika Ba." He turned to Riva, and his tone changed," You'd better behave, Riva. I shouldn't hear any complains."

" Don't forget to see a doctor." Riva said patronisingly, " You know, it might get infected."

He gave her a nasty look and left the house twice as fast. He didn't want Ambika Ba to know he was injured. She'd worry too much and pester him to drink her smelly kaada.

" He won't be around every day, will he?" Riva sighed, dreading their next conversation.

" I wish he would. But he's rarely free these days." Ambika smiled. She observed the girl as she ate her poha and awkwardly placed her plate next to Abhimanyu's.

This was a pampered royal princess from the palace and Ambika had a lot of experience with them. Any other royal would have scoffed and refused to stand in an inferior place, let alone stay in one. Riva was rather unique, her eyes were full of curiosity and fear, but not dread and scorn. At least Riva didn't think lowly of her home and her yet. And for that, Ambika liked her infinitely more.

" Do you want to see your room?" Ambika suggested.

" If that's OK." Riva nodded, hesitantly. She followed Ambika to a small flight of stairs. The second storey of the house was bare. It only had three doors. One of the doors on the side had a wooden plaque that said Aditi in cursive script.

" This is your room." Ambika opened the door facing Aditi's, " The third door opens to the terrace, but it's currently jammed, so you can't see it. The room isn't anything special, but you can keep it as you like. There's a shared bathroom downstairs.If you need anything or even if you want to talk, I'll be in the kitchen."

She gave Riva a small motherly pat on the head and left her.

Riva scanned the room. It wasn't big, there was a bed and an old study table and a small, round mirror hung on the wall. There was a small cupboard and a window overlooking the empty field and the garden.She sat on the bed and told herself fiercely, This too shall pass.