(Side Story 1) Spring Finally Comes

Spring.

From winter, there's spring, from spring there's summer, and from summer, there's autumn. And it all repeated in a cycle.

As if a bird could sense a lonely man whom sat by the rock near the riverside, it flew down whilst chirping as if greeting him. The river flowed from the now, independent village, greeted with the calming ripples of the water. The wind howled, blowing the willow trees above that kept Morax from the sunlight.

A lot happened within a single or two winter, and it all happened after a meeting of a lost wanderer whom was chased down for their head to be submitted to Celestia.

Morax sat there, amber eyes absent-mindedly gazed at the river where his reflections were. There was nothing in the world he saw currently, for he was lost in the vision of his memories replaying.

Did he ever once regret the idea of being associated with a tiger whom he was supposed to take down?

The answer was, no.

It'd been centuries since he last felt the gentle warmth, sincerity and pure innocence of a certain person. A person that reminded him and carefully taught him the views of the mortals toward the world where he stood.

"I haven't tasted alcohol before, can I have some?" the words replayed in the back of his head, in result his gaze fell on the bottle of alcohol he could get and two set of cups一one for him and the other for someone whom was ceased to live.

He silently poured the alcohol in the two cups, passing the other that was supposedly for Y/n to the rock next to him. "The alcohol is best to drink during spring for its liveliness. My apology for coming late," he gently spoke, voice was brought by the wind as if his Anemo Archon friend, Barbatos, helped to pass on the message.

From where he sat, he remembered the time where Y/n once asked Morax to sit together during the time Y/n tended the dying soul of an old man before the war. Such memories were set in winter and during the night, so why did he come during spring and when the sun was still shining?

He lifted the cup of alcohol, slowly sipping it to relish the bitter yet sweet taste. He may not be a huge crazed alcoholic god, but during times when one decided to cheers or state their goodbye, an alcohol wouldn't be that bad.

When he set down his alcohol from his lips, his thumb grazed over the ceramic rim. Something within his heart yearned to see more of them, to hear their never ending admiration and respect for him, and to receive more of their letters.

As a god whom lived for thousands of years, he was sure he'd be normal when someone passed一yet, a lost of life was still a lost of life. Someone whom held him when he's not sure, someone whom sprinkled some stories when he was at the brink of falling.

How could he not grief over them?

The wind howled for another time, letting the willow leaves flew to where it's blown to until it finally stopped.

"The alcohol tastes bitter, is this what it tastes like?"

A voice.

A voice that used to sound peacefully in his ears. Surprised, Morax turned his head一and as if his wishes were heard, his amber eyes landed on the familiar h/c haired person, smiling with their usual sincerity.

And as if the world decided to play tricks or he was in his deluded state, he still managed to keep his composure and gazed at the h/c haired person quietly. No, he didn't care if it was an illusion playing tricks on him, he didn't care if he's confused with a sudden sight.

"Milord, how have you been? Forgive me, I can't stay for long and serve you in every steps you take."

There was nothing they should be apologizing for other than their abrupt presence. Perhaps people would think the Geo Archon might've lost his mind, but he didn't care as he played along. As if his body took control over him, his cheeks lifted into a faint smile. "I haven't drunk much but it seems like I'm drunk in my own grief. It's a blessing I can see you off."

The person beside him let out a chuckle, they poured another alcohol on their cup and drank it. They didn't hold back, their manners were scattered as if this was finally them showing their true selves. "Today's the last day, the underworld let me meet some people after forty-nine days. I should've been punished for another centuries but Celestia decided to make me suffer in my next life," they chuckled aloud.

Despite the chuckle that was supposed to contain fear, it's contained with free-spirited self, leaving him to wonder if they'd ever fell fear for what's the punishment that'd bestow upon them would be. "And you've decided to meet me? I'm honoured for such," he responded.

"I didn't want to leave such memories as my departing and also, I need to thank Lady Mazu for everything she'd done for me."

"Yes, you are a disciple full of gratitude and respect for someone whom have the rights to be respected."

"Heh, sorry if I'm not polite with you as how I did when I served you."

He turned his gaze, letting it fell on his drink, the faint smile still painted his dear face. "Polite is only a formality, and formality doesn't give much impression in one's mind," Morax spoke, sipping another one. He then, earned another chuckle from them, "Milord, you're surely a god with a wide heart. Other than Lady Mazu, the rest I met were arrogant and all they cared was having stuff to themselves."

"That's because their lives are immortal, they thought the world would forever be theirs and so, greed takes over."

Y/n laughed aloud.

They took the bottle, pouring it in Morax's cup then theirs, then lifting it up. "Ganbei¹?"

"Ganbei."

They cheered, clashing their cups against each others gently then drank on their own. After setting down the cup, the h/c haired person turned to Morax, smile was still there. And the smile alone was enough to tell him.

"Milord."

"Hm?"

"In order to be a leader, they have to understand themselves and others."

He knew where this was coming from, but still stayed silent.

"Milord, time is still ahead of us, the world would crumble then reform again. Until then, I wish to see you well off."

"...The same goes for you too, Y/n."

"No, Milord," they defied, gently holding his hand and craddled it on their own, "Ah, if only I can see your amber eyes for another day..."

He knew well what the whisper meant, even so still kept his gaze quiet, knowing he'd yearn and there'd be a longing thread in his heart for Y/n. "Forgive me, I can't prolong my presence any longer. Is there something you want to tell me before I go?"

Something to tell them? He had a scroll, a list on what he wished to say.

Something blocked his eyes, rolling down his cheeks in warm liquid, and before he knew it, he was helpless in their warmth. "...I'll come and get you and until then, I'll see you off with a smile plastered your face. Until I hand you over to another person."

He wanted to stay by their side, wanted to admit what he'd been feeling, and certainly wanted to keep them to himself from the cruel world.

Instead of the beam he's get, he was responded with a light chuckle, "Pfft一You sound like a father who's about to see his daughter to be married off."

Like usual, seeing their laugh, he couldn't help but smile. "I'm proud of you, Y/n, thank you everything you've done."

"Proud..."

Half of their body started to disappear. He wished to pull them into a hug, and hold onto them tightly whilst whispering, 'Don't go.' But he knew he was powerless against faith. And so, he sat there, still smiling.

His amber eyes gazed at the tear rolling down Y/n's cheeks, as if they were touched with his words. "..No one has ever said those words to me. Thank you, Milord. Thank you."

He hummed, nodding his head. "Yes, Y/n. Now go and rest well."

They nodded before disappearing into the thin air.

And so, he was left all alone again.

But this time, serenity accompanied, something within him relished the time whilst letting his tears rolling down his cheeks.

****

¹Ganbei (干杯) = a dry cup. Usually meant for "Cheers!"