14: A Life for a Life

"Ah, this must be the last one."

The war to take the throne of the vacant seat of the village had long started一just for a village which only prospered in spices managed to rile up many greedy creatures to take over. Humans who humbly desired to keep their land safe only to be attacked.

The horrible stench of blood flew up to their nose, corpse of soldiers piled up after one another. Y/n held firm of their weapon, it may not be a shovel but they believed it should be enough to dig up the dirt. The death of humans with their blood scattered from the once green grass had finally came to an end一the war had stopped.

"What are you doing?"

The familiar voice rang across their ears, its usual calming yet stern voice chimed in. The coldness of the snow nipped on Y/n's skin, however as if the world finally recognized their achievement, the world decided to make the snow less cold.

"These people fought for their village, they fought and sacrificed everything they had for what was right. I dig up the soil out of respect for these mortals. Our enemies finally withdrew, I can hear the spirits chanting in happiness for the war finally brought to an end," Y/n replied.

Even if the truth was the fact these corpses reminded them much of their family who died in the hands of Y/n一regret devoured Y/n whole and the only way to decrease was to give the dead a proper burial.

"This land..." they chanted under their breath. Soon they turned their head to where Xiao stood. "If someone asks who rules this village, it's the people who rule it. No one一not even gods were meant to interfere, humans live their lives as free as the wind."

As if they came from the nation of freedom, Xiao believed those words they spoke were the reason humans grew over the past years. As an adeptus, he could never imagined once what would have happened if the gods interfere too much of humans' affair. "Hmph, you speak as if this will be your last moment."

"Because it is."

The golden eyes quickly turned to where the crystalized e/c irises were, something like a boulder ruthlessly hit his heart一for the first time he was hoping words they said were nothing but baffling... even if he knew Y/n wasn't the type to mess with their words.

They raised their hand, showing the fingertips that were starting to fade with the night sky一the hands that could turn into a tiger's claw, soon faded as if it's weakening. Xiao's breath hitched, letting out only a word, "What..."

"This? Oh, don't worry, Xiao. Hm... I'm suddenly craving for something savory, let's have a feast once we return一"

"Why are you disappearing?"

The smile planted on Y/n's own face turned hollow一sorrow and regret for their life was coming to an end. "It's already time. Immortality was supposed to be given to my brother, but I took it and it's been rejecting me for centuries."

The serene atmosphere faded into a cold one, one finger disappeared and soon will the others一they're disappearing.

The sound of the rustling bushes sounded in Xiao's ears, however he was far too late when he heard the arrow released. "Watch out!" He was pushed right away, saved from the meeting of his demise一but with a cost of his savior's life.

****

Knock

The knocking sound chimed in the ghost-quiet place of a mysterious house, Zhongli stood in front with patience.

The howling sound of the wind reached his ears, warmth enticed the nature to nurture with joy, unlike in the Harbor, the Qingce village was far more quiet and peaceful. The only crowd he saw was the field and flowers growing with care.