16: Choose Wisely

The wind was supposed to be delicate, the tea was supposed to be sweet in his mouth, the gaze should be loving and proud when he sensed his dear soldiers were coming close一everything should've been perfect.

Yet, he was brought to horror seeing the helpless person hanging their hand on the air as they were carried by Xiao, he could hardly see his eyes, the blood scent stung his nostrils. Never once had the scent of blood finally brought discomfort after thousand of years.

"Y/n..."

He quickly stood up from his seat, rushed over to where Xiao landed with Y/n, Xiao's golden eyes glimmered in fear as he lifted his gaze to where Morax stood. "Lord, I failed to protect," he ushered out, sounding like a small whisper.

The great adeptus's amber eyes landed on the weak body, the way the light used to bask Y/n under its grace, the way their skin shone like polished pearl, how he... gazed at it as if there would be no light tomorrow. Now, all he saw was the lips turning blue and chapped, the colour vanished slowly, the tips of their fingers fading.

"Lord..." a weak voice sounded, sounding like a whimper of pain quickly brought back to his senses. Their arm reached out but failed to as they winced from the pain. "The hilichurl was... possessed. The arrow has poison," they informed with a smile trying to grace their... unlikely lively face.

"Call the healers一" Morax demanded, eyebrows furrowed, his emotions overwhelmed him more than it could. But Y/n cut off his words, shaking their head, whispering a fierce, "No, no need."

Xiao passed the dying body on Morax reluctantly, golden eyes still glimmered in grief as he knew what was brewing. The archon felt weak on his knees, as if something wiped him一his whole life out, he brought the h/c haired person close to him, body craved to search for warmth within them.

Xiao could only stand there, watched as his lord fell in grief, slowly realizing the feelings he had hidden. "Milord?"

"Yes?" He spoke, trying to keep his voice from shifting in sorrow, but his eyes were painted with hollow, a void stirring him up like a tsunami. "I won. Everyone's free," they spoke, voice almost non-existent.

"Yes, you won. I can hear the cheers from the people, their worships and prayers of gratitude."

"I... can hear them too. So as the bird chirping."

He hummed, nodding his head. The long hair of his fell, brushed against Y/n's face, tickling them a little resulting to let out a weak laugh. "I am not anyone's people, Milord..."

"Yes, you are not. You are your own self."

Though, the sun setting may not be visible from the winter, the moon slowly lit up above the highest cliff there had ever been in Liyue. "The winter's never been this beautiful before."

"...I agree."

Hearing those words trickling down their lips, Xiao could no longer bat an eye, his gaze fell to his feet as he felt the piercing warmth in his chest, so as Morax.

Morax took a deep breath, composing himself.

Y/n gently lifted their hand, touching his warm cheek, their smile一for the very first time, reached their eyes like the sun finally shining after years. "We'll meet again, when the world's red during the night and when I was lost wandering in a huge city."

He silently nodded his head, he could no longer uttered a word, something heavy, a lump in his throat prevented him from breathing normally. "I haven't tasted alcohol before. Can I have some?"

He nodded again, whispering a small, "Yes," there's nothing in this world they couldn't have, as now they had him.

The silent atmosphere filled with sorrow as one's slowly being eaten by the world, such a great victory was greeted with such tension of a dying warrior.

"You can also give my head to Celestia."

He was too exhausted to say no, too exhausted to defy them一all he could say was, "Alright."

The light that shone Liyue finally dimmed, replaced with the cold winter night. Its snow and snowflakes finally danced from the sky and landed on Y/n's skin, nipping on it before melting. "I'm tired."

"Hm."

"Can I stay like this, for a while?"

"Hm."

"Are you... proud of us?"

Proud?

He could never be more proud, they've proved their worth, worked harder to strive better, worked together with his adeptus. Rather than the sadness that once gobbled him, the regret that once ate him inside out for allowing Y/n to go to a battlefield, proud stuck his chest out. A smile lifted its way up, for the first time, he was brought in peace一an overwhelming serenity.

"Yes, I am."

Their eyelids were heavy, closing them one last time and the last in this world as a tiger and as a wanderer. The world's felt more quiet than before, as if it's welcoming Y/n to the next stage of life一the afterlife.

"I see... thank you. Let me sleep."

He nodded his head. Their body grew terribly hot but the temperature dropped drastically, leaving no warmth left in their now... dead body.

As an immortal whom faced a lot of death, and lost a lot of his people and friends, his grief that was locked away from more than a hundred of years finally opened up once again.

A tear fell.

Soon, another one.

He couldn't keep himself composed, his grip tightened around them, wrapping their body and let them be engulfed within his warmth as he choked in his own tears.

The night of a fallen warrior wasn't the end of the story, and never would it be the end. The air that was supposedly to be painful, became the most peaceful time he finally had after so many years.

He was more than proud of them.

****

"I've fallen for you, not just because I carry out my duty as your husband, but sincerity touches my heart when I see you after years of waiting."

Honestly... they'd known. They'd known about it during the day when they met an old woman一Mazu. Yet, despite knowing for the fact, they decided to keep their lips zipped shut.

.

.

The room fell silent, silent in comfort atmosphere. They gazed at his eyes, silent, breathing turned shallow. Something within them made a huge fuss, they swore their heart threatened to jump out of their mouth and danced in happiness.

Some of those words felt gentle to their ears, as if an angel whispered sweet nothings to them, and only their ears to hear. "Huh... are you proposing to me?"

The man looked at them in a puzzled gaze, rather confused with the words that felt foreign in his ears. A tint of red painted their pale face, the uncontrollable grin was wide despite them slowly being eaten away by death.

"If proposing means declaring my life for you, then yes. If you accept me, I promise that you will wake up every day to the scent of tea, the sunshine's warmth will bask both of us together."

Despite the elation engulfing them, a slight doubt tickled its way beneath their neck, confusement and slight resentment towards him and the heavenly principles. How they were trapped in the temple to pray everyday, forced to study and be more knowledgeable than the others when they could've run with their siblings in the playground.

All of those just to carry out the duty as a God's chosen spouse.

"...Sorry, but I don't think this is right. For years I've been in the temple..." for a second, they inhaled the oxygen, "...because of a responsibility to serve my 'husband'一that turns out to be you, I don't want my life to be tied with a duty that's out of my will."

To be fair, despite a rejection, Zhongli only nodded before calmly speaking, "It's not because of my role or my responsibility. It's my choice that I picked you, but there was never an intention to tie you."

"If I accept you, I'll live. And that's the same thing as carrying out your duty一"

"You don't have to diligently pray, you won't be forced to continue your studies and strive as an ideal human. Even so, I still respect you and forever will."

"Will you keep that promise?"

Without a second, without hesitation, the man nodded his head, a gentle smile一almost invisible painted his elegant face. He took off a ring that wrapped his finger and slid it to their own finger, "I may not have a diamond or money, but I hope this is enough to satisfy you. Y/n," he called, glazing his eyes on theirs.

For once did they see the bliss spread his face, the aura of his that once loomed around his own world brought clear and brighter than the sun.

"Promises aren't meant to be broken, you have my oath and words. With every power I have, I'll do whatever it takes to make you smile, to make you be honest with yourself. Will you accept me?"

Though the ring that hugged their finger perfectly may not be a diamond, a gold, or anything fancy, the ring was for an archer to protect themselves from hurting their fingers, they didn't know why but even the simplest things couldn't make them less.

There's no reason to say no, was there?

Full of bliss, the glint in their eyes glimmered under the sun setting down, they nodded their head. The world didn't seem to be important, their death wouldn't be as painful as they thought it'd be, and certainly一they wouldn't care if the curse came and snatched them away.

"If a god asks me with such sincerity, I don't see why must I reject for I feel the same."

They bit their inner lips, words full of affirmations slowly casted in them like a witch's magic. Y/n's crystalized e/c eyes snatched one last glance to his amber ones, something within them felt like it's been lifted一energy started to flow within them once again.

Their skeletal self returned its original shape, lips became plump, lifting a huge grin. And those crystalized e/c eyes shattered its crystal, shifting to the e/c eyes resembled orbs.

As if time flied by slow on purpose, slow for the two of them to enjoy together, as if bewitched by him, they laced his fingers together gazing as if a child finally learned something new.

All those magic happened too fast, all it took was the assurance to keep them safe and free from anything. Even so, even if things happened to fast, a wave of relief washed over his chest, replaced with the surge of happiness.

Zhongli placed his hand on top of theirs, having his other hand placed behind their head, making an oath to himself to make them happy, he promised he won't make the same mistake as he did before.

Both foreheads touched as if they were on mutual agreement to share warmth to each other. From up close, he could see the way their skin was tinted with a hue of red, the scent that still hadn't left from their body, scent of the sun and sweet like flowers.

His hand trailed to their chin, lifting them to meet gaze, warm breath brushed each others' faces. He was relieved for he could sense the warm breath again.

"May I...?"

He was lost at words, even asking for consent was hard to speak. They nodded their head一even they were lost at words too.

Feeling the plump of lips placed against one another, sweetness cherished between the shared first kiss, he felt the smile spreading as he pressed his lips on theirs gently, as if words weren't enough to express gratitude.

"Thank you," he whispered in between, sounding sweet to their ears.

Those were the days the world finally was on their side, as if the world owed them for everything they'd done.

-Fin (Main story)

***

Helloo!!!

The story's main plot is finally done! There will be one or a few side stories that explains some things that weren't explained here. After the side story there will be another A/N of my gratitude :).

Sorry for not updating, I've been busy with a lot of things. Thank you very much for your support and time for reading my work! I hope you guys enjoyed it♡ because I honestly do here :D.