29

29.

March 22, 2015

7:03 AM

Matthew Espinosa

Olivia dropped her gun and grasped onto her right arm, where blood oozed out. The gun shot sound still radiated throughout the warehouse. I turned my head to where Ansel and his two men were, and I saw that Ansel was holding a gun towards where Olivia was. He was the one who hurt my Olivia! What made it worse is that I could have prevented it from happening.

Without even thinking about it, I just pulled my trigger towards Ansel and shot him. That's when we heard banging from the entrance of the warehouse. It sounded like someone kicking the door. After about two kicks, the warehouse doors bursted open and two policemen barged in, holding up their guns. One of them pointed his gun at me, Olivia, Lauren and Cameron, while the other one went to the three others. I instantly dropped my gun and lifted my hands up in the air, as did Cameron and Lauren did it weakly.

"I need medics in here!" the policeman said in his radio. After a couple of seconds, four medics came in. One saw Olivia on the ground and helped her up, guiding her out. One of them helped Lauren, and the other helped Cameron. The other one went to Ansel and helped him. "You wanna explain why we heard gunshots even after the Purge was over?" asked the police officer while he walked towards me.

"Gladly." I scoffed, glaring at Ansel as the medics guided him out.

Olivia Coleman

The pain in my arm felt unbearable. I was crying as the medics did things to my arm. "Sweetie, we need to remove the bullet from your arm," a medic said, looking into my eyes and giving me a small smile. "I'm not going to lie, it's going to hurt-" a sob escaped my lips. "But it's going to be infected if we don't remove it. It's going to be brief."

I nodded and shut my eyes tightly, holding my breath. More minutes passed and felt them doing something to my arm, and I felt more pain. I tried to move, but arms held me down. More tears fled my eyes and I could feel the bullet, itself, being removed from my arm. I felt them pour a liquid, in which I knew was alcohol because it stung a lot. Finally, I felt a bandage being wrapped around my arm tightly.

"We're done, we're done," the medic said, and I opened my eyes. "You have to put this on." She handed me a cast-holder and helped me put it on. My arm hurt once in a while as I moved to put it on. "There you go. Now, are you okay? How are you feeling?"

"I'm d-doing fine, t-thank you...despite the amount of p-pain I just felt." I still stuttered, but I managed a small smile. She sat down next to me and chuckled.

"The Purge is a pretty stupid thing, yeah?"

"Finally! Someone who has a normal brain..." I muttered, looking down at my arm and then up at the girl. We smiled at each other and just looked forward, watching everything happen: Lauren and Cameron were together, and Lauren was getting bandaged. And from the warehouse, the two men were being pulled out in handcuffs, followed by Ansel, who was also in handcuffs. After the three of them, out came Matthew with no handcuffs. He was just with a police officer, and they were talking.

I tensed up at the sight of Matthew, and when he looked around the place and saw me. "Do you know that boy?" the medic beside me asked, nodding towards Matthew. I glanced and Matthew and saw that he was waving goodbye at the police officer, and he was walking to where I was.

"Yeah." I muttered. After a couple of seconds, Matthew had made his way over to where I was. I didn't look up at him, just down at my hands.

"Uh, can I have some time with her, please?" Matthew asked the medic quietly. The medic stood up.

"Of course." she said.

"No," I spoke up and finally looked up, staring into Matthew's eyes but talking to the medic. "Don't go."

"Why not? He wants to talk to you."

"Well, I don't want to talk to him," I scoffed, staring at the medic for a while, and then at Matthew. "So please, Matthew, just go."

"Olivia, please don't-" he whispered sadly.

"Leave." I commanded.

"Are you two dating?" asked the medic.

"Yes." Matthew answered.

"No." I answered after. He looked at me with eyes that showed just pure hurt and sadness.

"Olivia, remember when I told you that I never wanted to lose you? Please, baby, don't-"

"I'm not going to say it again..." I looked down at my lap. It was quiet for a while and then I heard footsteps. I looked up and saw Matthew walking towards a police car, and he was wiping his face. It broke my heart to see Matthew cry, but it broke my heart even more to know that I have to forget about him.

---