11

11.

March 21, 2015

8:45 PM

Olivia Coleman

It was bad enough that Matthew wouldn't allow me to grab another bag of chips from my backpack filled with it, because I had already wasted one whole bag when I let it go when that dude grabbed me from behind – but now I was also getting really tired and I wanted to rest, and I know for sure if I even dared to ask Matthew if we could take a ten minute rest, he'll laugh in my face and continue walking. 

We had been walking for a long time – about thirty minutes, or maybe just a little bit more. It was 8:45 pm. I usually fell asleep around ten, but if I were really exhausted, I would sleep at nine. And right now, it was one of those exhausting nights. I wanted to sleep right here, right now. 

"Hurry up your pace, Olivia." Matthew commanded me for I had slowed down a while ago and was far behind him, trudging with all the power I could find in my body – which wasn't that much now, like I mentioned before.

"Matthew, can we please take a rest? I'm so tired." I complained like a child, finally asking him if we could rest, jogging up to him so I was at my regular spot before – beside him. As expected and predicted by me, he just laughed for a while, and then his expression became cold again and stern, and kind of annoyed, too. 

"I told you to stay at the house, remember? It was your stupid choice to come along with me, and now you have to face the consequences. Now shut your whining and stay awake." he rudely retorted and I rolled my eyes. I was no longer offended by his comebacks, because I now know what to expect whenever Matthew opens his mouth to speak; it was either rude, a complaint, or a command. 

A yawn escaped my lips and my eyes drooped, my legs feeling like noodles. "I think..." I began to say, but out of fatigue, I stopped mid sentence for a few seconds before continuing again. "I think you can just leave me on the bench – I'll sleep there." This sentence just proves that my sleep was taking over me, and I was becoming even more nonchalant by the minute. 

Of course sleeping on a bench during the Purge would be extremely risky and overall dangerous, but like I said before, my sleepiness was engulfing me and I said things that I wouldn't actually want to do if I were wide-awake. 

"That's so stupid!" Matthew remarked, obviously knowing the doubts and negative things that were to happen if he left me alone on a bench to sleep – but then again, why would he care? He was the one who didn't want to "babysit" me anyways. I'm sure he would really want to leave me alone on that bench.

"Yeah, I know it's stupid, but what is there to loose? Lauren is probably dead, anyways, so I'd be glad to join her up in Heaven," I yawned again, my vision becoming blurry because my eyes were literally almost closed. Thankfully, I didn't trip on anything. "Plus, you can hurry up your journey without me, so...you can leave me there until I get killed, or something..." 

Like I said before: the sleep was talking, and I didn't even know what was coming out of my mouth. Maybe I was more high than sleepy – I don't know. 

"Olivia, shut the hell up. Lauren isn't dead because we're going to find her, along with Cameron," Matthew snapped at me, anger evident in his voice. Why the hell is he angry at me? "And, no matter how much you annoy the shit out of me, I can't leave you alone to die. I have to protect you." he finished and huffed out loud. 

"Mhm." I hummed lazily, not paying that much attention to what he said, stopping completely so I could at least get a one-minute rest – and then maybe I can be fully nourished by the time I was ready to walk again. 

Matthew stopped, too, since I stopped. He looked at me with this look that was so grim, that I wanted to look away and cower. "Oh my god." he muttered helplessly, shaking head while he still looked at me. He then began to take my backpack off. 

I was confused when he handed it to me, but he told me to put it on, which I did. I began to get what he was planning to do when he slightly bent down in front of me, his back towards me. "C'mon." he murmured under his breath, and I smiled as I gently climbed on his back, my arms wrapping around his neck. 

With a grunt, he stood up again with no trouble and wrapped his arms around my legs, holding me with a tight, firm grip, so that I wouldn't fall back when he was carrying me.

I rested my head on his shoulder and slightly buried my face into the crook of his neck, finding my comfortable spot, closing my eyes finally. Once I did this, a blissful feeling rushed through me. "Thank you, Matthew." I mumbled and drifting off to sleep. The last thing I heard before I completely fell asleep was:

"Goodnight, Olivia." 

---