18

18. 

March 21, 2015

11:00 PM

Olivia Coleman

"Olivia," Blake whispered to me and tapped my shoulder. I looked over at him and smiled a small smile, raising my eyebrow. He seemed hesitant to tell me what he wanted, and quite embarrassed, as well, but he said it anyways. "I'm kind of getting tired...can you, like, ask Matthew if we could have a break?" 

I gave Blake a grim look. "I could ask, but oh boy, the answer is probably going to be a no," I confessed to him and laughed weakly. "But yeah, I'm kind of getting tired, as well. I was hoping you were going to notice and offer to carry me on your back, but I guess not." Blake laughed and smiled at me. "Matthew." I said out loud so that Matthew could hear. 

"What?" he replied with a dull tone; it was evident that he didn't care for what I was going to say next. But I continued anyways. 

"Uh, Blake and I are kind of getting tired," I told him and glanced at Blake then reverted my gaze back to the back of Matthew's head. Bethany was now facing Blake and I, interested for what I was going to say next, unlike Matthew. "And we just want to rest...for maybe twenty minutes." 

Matthew stopped in his tracks and so did the rest of us, watching Matthew as he turned to me slowly. "Are you kidding with me right now? You want to rest again? I knew you were weak, but I didn't know you were that weak. Get your shit together, Olivia, because I am so done with you always wasting time!" 

I stayed silent, just blinking while everything that Matthew said to me stabbed me in the heart. This should no longer affect me, but I was. Just the fact that I asked for both Blake and I, but he raised his voice only at me, kind of made me feel sad. 

"I, um..." I stammered, not knowing what to say to him. Thankfully, Blake butted in and saved me from responding something. 

"Hey, Matthew, don't be so harsh. It's my fault; I was the one who wanted to rest." he said in a calm tone. Bethany glanced at Blake then back at Matthew, awaiting his response to Blake. 

"But even before you guys came into the picture! She's been wasting my goddamn time, and I don't even want her here!" he retorted, still with a raised voice, confusing me and scaring me at the same time. I was confused because I didn't know what made him so infuriated (well, this infuriated). I was scared because Matthew raising his voice was scary – it was self-explanatory. 

"Well then, if you don't want me to be here, then...just leave! Right now!" I yelled back at him, a boost of confidence rushing through me. Though I didn't mean anything I said – because I really didn't want him to leave me (safety purposes) – I kept a grim face and stared straight into Matthew's eyes. "I didn't even do anything to bother you, but there you are, just yelling at me and blaming everything at me! If I bother you so much, leave! I can find my way back!" 

No I can't; I don't even know where I am. 

"Fine! If that's what you want." Matthew chuckled, challengingly.

Bethany butted in. "Matthew, I think you should just settle down a little bit-" 

"No, Bethany. If little Olivia, here, thinks she's so tough and can go find her way back to her house during the Purge...then I'm allowing her. I mean, she said it herself: she wants me to leave, so I'm leaving!" 

Bethany looked at Blake and Blake looked at her; it seemed like they were having a silent conversation with each other. I think Bethany was telling Blake to say something to protest, because that's what I'm reading off of her facial expression. 

"Okay, guys, I think we're going a bit overboard here," Blake said calmly. "Matthew, let's just continue walking and forget anything, oka-"

"Why are you still here, Matthew? I thought you were going to leave." I chuckled and crossed my arms. 

"Fine." 

"Fine." 

"I'm leaving. This is bullshit; you're bullshit, Olivia." Matthew scoffed while rolling his eyes. He turned his heel and walked away. 

"I'm staying with Olivia!" Blake bellowed from where he was to Matthew. Matthew stopped and turned his head to us. His eyebrows were furrowed, and for a second I swore I saw a bit of hesitance in his facial expression, but it was soon gone when he shrugged and proceeded walking.

Bethany glanced between Blake and I, but mostly kept her stare at me. She was giving me a pleading look. She probably wanted me to follow Matthew, because she was interested in Matthew but was stuck in the middle; either she went with Matthew – whom (like I said before) she was interested in – or she went with Blake and I – with her brother. 

She made up her decision and jogged over to Matthew, taking one last glance at Blake and I before reverting her attention to Matthew. The both of them walked away, not bothering to take another look at Blake and I. 

Blake sighed and I looked at him, giving him a smile before turning the other direction and walking away. Blake followed beside me. "You know, you don't have to come with me if you don't want to," I say quietly, still slightly affected by what Matthew said to me. "I don't want you to be separated with your sister." 

"I'd rather be separated with her than have you be harmed." he replied, his voice quiet, though I could clearly hear what he said. "Hey, let's get off the road. A car could come anytime." Blake suggested and I nodded and allowed him to take my hand in his and drag me away from the road, to the sidewalk...but there was a twist. 

Instead of letting go of my hand, he continued to hold it and continued to drag me. I was skeptical at first, but my confusion turned into cautiousness. "Blake, what are you doing? Where are we going?" I asked, trying to stop him by applying a pulling force, but it didn't work; he's stronger than me. 

We came across an alley (there seems to be so many of these) and that's when he drag me in and pushed me back so that I was against the wall. He went in front of me and grabbed my face with his hand. My eyes widened at the words he said next, and I knew something sinister was bound to happen: "Babygirl...did anyone ever tell you not to trust anyone during the Purge?" 

---