Chapter Two: Let The Games Begin

NORAH'S SHOES CLACKED AGAINST the wooden flooring as she walked through the empty corridor, internally smiling. She loved that sound. Austin and Sabrina walked beside her, their eyes trained on the path unlike hers, which were scouring her surroundings. The sun was shining brightly; the school's campus was built so that a lot of natural light found its way into the building.

She had to admit it, this was a nice change. While her old school had been a modern glass-and-metal structure, sometimes suffocating with its closed-off structure, this new school was built old style. It was ironic; the fact that it was her previous school with all its modernity that crumbled into ashes, not this historical one that seemed like it had been standing there for ages.

Norah closed one eye and lifted her hand to shield her eyes. She heard fast-approaching footsteps behind her and she whirled to find her best friend, Jason Ross-Morrison jogging to catch up with Norah, Emma Fisher lagging behind.

Jace was wearing a full black Adidas tracksuit, sweat sliding down his jaw and his hair rumpled by the wind. His face was open and he was grinning that classic grin of his, his eyes kind and smiling. He was amiable and loyal and reminded her of golden retrievers. He was the stereotypical male protagonist in all the high school romance novels; famous sports player, good-looking, and charming. But unlike most high school romance novels' male protagonists, Jace was nice and courteous, not cocky and arrogant. 

Emma Fisher walked behind him, her expression closed off as usual and a stance that screamed 'fight me.' Her blond hair glinted in the sunlight, and her hazel eyes were constantly narrowed. Emma had been Norah's rival for a long time. From the first time Norah had seen her in elementary school, Emma seemed to take her presence as a challenge. They disliked but respected each other immediately, just like two opponents playing a match would. Emma had been the stereotypical blonde cheerleader in Norah's life, but as Norah grew up, she realized things weren't black and white as they seemed. It was a sign of growing up; of maturity. Emma had become close to Norah during the past months, surprisingly finding solace in the presence of her grumpy rival.

"Nice," Sabrina said, a relieved smile on her face, "Good to know there are others who are late."

"I hate to break it to you, but," Norah smiled apologetically, gesturing at Jace, "Jace here had soccer practice, and Emma's just returning from her writer's club meeting, so the two of them have actual, valid reasons."

Sabrina practically deflated, and Norah chuckled, offering Jace a fist bump. Then she mock glared at Emma, who returned the sentiment. The next minute consisted of Austin and Sabrina being introduced to Jason and Emma, all while they were practically jogging to get to the murder mystery book club's room. They skidded to a stop in front of the white door, tentatively listening to the conversation inside the room.

Today's meeting had been scheduled to discuss the games they could play. The members of the murder mystery club regularly did something entertaining together, whether it be playing games like capture the flag, or going to karaoke together.

The five of them stared blankly at the white door, listening to the serious conversations inside about what they could possibly do. The recommendations ranged from board games, competitions, a running game (which raised many arguments about how others didn't want to run), and finally came back to secret Santa. Since they didn't want to take part in the chaotic conversation, the five of them carefully listened outside the door. After most of them agreed to Secret Santa, Norah opened the door and the five of them stepped in; each of them reciting a practised excuse about why they were late.

Gabriel shook his head at Austin and Sabrina with a weary sigh, then regarded the whole group. "What do you guys think? Does secret santa sound good to you?"