✙ Chapter 3 ✙

Start from the beginning

Hurry, I thought, pushing away the pain. My eyes wandered the room until landing on a window near one of the dressers in the bedroom. Come on. Flinching, I moved towards the window, realizing my boots were no longer on - probably to prevent me from running anywhere. Little did they know, the lack of shoes wasn't going to prevent me from escaping. Pushing aside the curtains, I peered down, disappointed when I realized I was two or three stories up. If I jumped, death was inevitable - there wasn't anything for me to climb down. Not a pipe or maybe a nearby tree. Feeling cursed, I looked towards the door across the room.

Seeing no other option, I limped towards the door to leave. Had my family discovered my absence? Maybe they already sent a search party for me? Quietly, I grabbed the handle and opened the door, peering out into the hallway. Seeing nobody, I moved out, closing the door behind me. The hallway was large with red walls, decorated with portraits and Native American things. Still on high alert, I wandered down the hallways, a little curious of the portraits. The majority of them were of previous tribe leaders or Alphas - maybe someone I knew had hunted them before. Maybe Dad, I thought, turning down another hall. I was hoping he noticed my lack of absence; after all, the rule was to always be home before dinner. Surely, it was after dinner - hopefully, he realized that mystery of it all since I had never arrived late before.

I was relieved when I came across some stairs. Grabbing onto the provided railing, I carefully descended them. I winced when too much pressure was put on the worst leg of mine. I held back the yelps attempting to escape my lips, continuing down the steps. Thankfully, the wooden steps didn't creak or crumble beneath me - that would've gave away my location. I was forced to take a small break halfway down the steps when I felt my stitches ripping, though that didn't stop me completely from reaching the bottom.

When I stepped off the last step, I sighed in relief. I looked around, surprised to find myself in a large living room. I spotted a brick fireplace where a warm fire was, the flames licking the air. A large-plasma TV was attached to the white wall above it with the sports channel on. There was a basketball player dribbling the ball across the court. The two chestnut-colored couches were empty of people, though the coffee tables in front of them were cluttered with soda cans, ripped open chips, and popcorn. I moved farther into the room, searching for a door that could possibly lead outside to my freedom.

"What are you doing?" a husky voice came from behind me, startling me. I whirled around, swearing under my breath at the pain in my thigh. The voice caused tingles at the tips of my fingers, sending me into a wave of confusion. I looked at the person in front of me, finding myself becoming nervous. His ocean-blue eyes captivated me, burning two holes into my body. The guy in front of me was good-looking and since it was obvious he was a werewolf, I was ashamed for thinking it. His dark brown hair - that could've been mistaken for black - was messy, probably caused from running his fingers through it too many times. He was taller than me, around 6'1, with a lean and muscular build, like most werewolves. His facial features were sharp: his chiseled cheekbones, angular nose (possibly broken before), and squared jaw.

For some strange reason, I wanted to touch him. Don't even think about it, I thought to myself, mentally slapping myself in the forehead. He raised an eyebrow at me, patiently waiting for an answer. I stared at him for a long moment, suddenly remembering his question. I opened my mouth to respond, but quite honestly, I was feeling too anxious to answer. With his blue eyes focused on me, I slowly started thinking of answers for myself. His build was large and his posture held power; it took a second for it to click.

"You're the Alpha," I breathed, narrowing my eyes. My hands curled into fists as he approached me, getting a little too close. "Stay away from me."

"Yes, I'm the Alpha," he responded, tilting his head to one side. "My name is Drew."

I scrunched my nose up in disgust. "Monster."

"Do you really believe that?" he asked, his eyebrows knitting together. Quickly, I nodded, feeling my heart hammering in my chest. He leaned closer, bravely. I heard my blood pumping through my veins and the palms of my hands were growing sweaty - why was I feeling anxious? Why was I feeling this way? "You're feeling nervous, aren't you? You're feeling the need to touch me?" I was beyond confused; he was taunting me for my lack of knowledge. "It's because we have a pull towards each other. Think about it."

I stared into his blue eyes, allowing every possibility to swarm through me. His slightly full lips tugged into a grin. Pull, I thought, repeating the word over and over again in my head. Anxious. Need. Mates. My jaw dropped open in shock and I shook my head, refusing to accept it. There must've been a mistake; there was no way in hell I was his mate. He seemed relieved I pieced it together and shrugged his shoulders, casually. "That basically makes you mine, Nora."

He emphasized my name, just to make sure I caught it. How did he know my name? All of it started making sense - why he saved me, why I was still alive, why he didn't seem angry at me for hunting his kind. He reached towards me and I snapped, slapping his hand away. "No! Don't you f*cking touch me!"

Then, I shot my knee forward into his crotch.