Delia shrugs, but then suddenly becomes timid. "Could maybe I get a sword?"

Kagon bellows a thunderous laugh. "A sword is not for a lady."

"But neither is this journey, I must be able to protect myself somehow."

"No worries, writer Delia. I will protect you and myself."

Delia grumbles something under her breath that Kagon can't hear.

"I hope you were muttering about my strength and good looks, Delia." Kagon calls back to her, voice playfully threatening.

"Something like that." She mutters.

Kagon smirks and the two go back to concentrating on the beautiful world around them.

The forest path they ride through is a wide dirt path, often travelled by merchants and travelers. It is well cleared from the hooves of horses and the wheels of wagons but in no way does this distract from the creeping green nature surrounding the path.

The trees are made of sturdy hard wood dripping emerald colored leaves over the path to create some sort of canopy, protecting travelers from rain and bad weather. Some trees bear brightly colored fruit in which the pair occasionally grabs and eats, the fruit's sweet flavor exploding on their tongues.

Flowers too line the path, they are bright colored blooming dots, a contrast against the dark green of the forest.

However, not all is well in the woods. The chitter-chatter of tweeting birds is a pleasant melody but the buzzing of gnats and mosquitoes are not. They feast upon the travelers, not only biting them but bothering their horses as well. The only way they leave is if the horses gallop faster than they can fly. Not wanting to tire the horses they do this in short bursts but always the bugs come back to antagonize them once they slow.

Not only is the bugs a constant antagonist but so is the heat. The air has become humid , attracting the ravenous bugs to the unconcealed parts of their skin. Both the weather, the bugs, and the riding soreness are a constant discomfort to them both. Even Kagon who is used to such conditions wishes for the sun to sink in the sky so they can finally make camp.

The hero looks over to his companion as she bats at the bugs while wiping sticky sweat away from under her bangs. Kagon has to admit he's proud of her. She has stayed with him and dealt with the hardship of traveling and adventuring better than most.
She may turn out well yet.

"Let's set up camp." Kagon says after walking for awhile longer. "It will be good for us to get to bed early, besides the humidity most likely means it is going to rain. We should find shelter."

Delia nods her agreement and the two dismount their horses, wandering away from the path to find a good place that will shelter their tents from the brunt of the rain.

"Over here!" Kagon calls, gesturing to an area where the branches of trees are more numerous than in other areas, creating a more secure canopy.

Delia leads the horses to a place near a stream in sight of their camp and ties them to a tree so they can rest and drink.

Delia unpacks the horses while Kagon pitches up the decent sized tent Davel had given them.

Kagon smiles in amusement as he finishes setting up the tent. Thank you Davel.

After Delia is done unpacking she stores everything safely inside the tent just in case it does rain. They don't need their supplies to be ruined by the rain, it is days until the next village where they can restock.

Finally after an hour of preparing the campsite the two travelers sit in front of a roaring fire, cooking the meet Davel gave them before it can spoil. It will be the best meal either of them had in awhile. And it is.

Afterwards they lay at opposite sides of the tent, their bellies full and the tent shut to the pesky bugs thirsting for them outside the tent. After a hard day of riding the two easily fall into a deep sleep.

But that isn't the end of their day.

Kagon wakes hours later sputtering for breath.

He looks around wildly, watching as the banks of the stream over flood from the all the rain and drown the area surrounding it, including Delia and Kagon's tent.

But where is the tent? Kagon wanders with a start.

He doesn't have time to ponder this as the current drags him towards the stream.
Swiftly Kagon grabs on to a tree, holding tight as not to be sucked into the stream.

"Kagon!"

The hero looks around wildly. Cordelia.

From far off Kagon can barely make out Delia's flailing hands as she, like he did tries to grab on to something to save her from the currents. Kagon moves to let go of the tree to retrieve Delia but then lightning crackles, illuminating Delia's terrified face as she is able to grasp tightly to a tree.

The sky turns dark again, the only sound is the rushing currents until, crackle, another bolt of lightning lights up the forest.

But where Delia held is nothing more than the tangly roots of what is left of the tree.