"If you expect disappointment, then you can never really be disappointed."

The month of November came and Peter had finally gotten the letter that would determine his future. Dani, MJ, Ned, and himself had all applied to M.I.T.. Being the last to receive his letter that week, Peter ran into the coffee place that MJ worked at, so he and his friends could open them together.

"You ready?" panted an out of breath Peter, as he held up his letter to his friends.

"Yeah, but I don't think we're gonna get in," said MJ.

"What, why?"

"If you expect disappointment, then you can never really be disappointed."

"Hey," reassured Dani. "We're gonna get in... you guys ready?"

"Yep," sighed Ned. 

"On 'three...'" gulped Peter. "One... two... three!"

With that, the four friends opened their respective letters. The look of fading smiles made the answer clear as day.

"Nope..." said Peter, sadly, before turning to his girlfriend. "You?"

"Didn't get in," said Dani. "MJ, what about you?"

"No."

"Ned?" asked Peter.

Ned sighed and read a section of his rejection letter.

"'In light of recent controversy, we are unable to accept your application at this time.'"

"Expect disappointment and you'll never truly be disappointed," sighed MJ. "You know what?"

Before her friends could answer, MJ ripped up her rejection letter.

"M.I.T. is dumb, anyways," she said, before getting back to work.

"Yeah," said Dani, before doing the same and turning to Peter. "I'm gonna go back home."

"Ok, see you later."

The couple kissed goodbye and Dani walked out of the coffee shop.

"MJ and Dani are right," said Ned, ripping up his letter, as well, before realizing what he'd just done. "Although... I probably should show this letter to my parents."

Immediately grabbing the pieces from the countertop, Ned put them in his pocket and left, leaving Peter sitting there by himself. Looking up at the lights, Peter could see a very Doctor Strange-esk looking Halloween light, that had yet to be taken down from the previous month.

"...Strange," whispered Peter, to himself.