Chapter Fifty-Six: In House Considerations

Start from the beginning

                          -----------------------

21st Precinct

Several hours later Voight had informed the men the Units' space had been comprehensively swept for hidden listening or surveillance devices so they could converse safely without retreating to his office.  He had been
unwilling to wait for the new safety measures to be set up so had called on a few favours.  The Units' domain would be checked regularly until the new security was in place.

The Unit, in addition to Murphy and a newly arrived Parker, were busy going through various venues and locations that would appeal to King.  Mouse had surprised them all upon imparting his search results that there were over two hundred concert venues. They comprised of various sizes and were scattered across a wide expanse of Chicago real estate.

"Wouldn't Navy Pier be a good target?" Adam looked up from the list Mouse had sent around to everyone detailing capacity size and concert dates.  With the 24 hour window they could ideally rule out a number of locations.  The clock was running down on the time allotted by King and the men were considering every angle. 

"With this many possible targets it's going to be a guessing game," Kevin shook his head in disgust, sometimes he hated this job.
"Navy Pier would be a military tie in," Antonio considered the location.
"Isn't the Navy different to the military?" Adam chimed in clearly confused.
"The Navy is a branch of the military," Al put in helpfully, "but to make it easier to understand the U.S. Army deals with protecting the land and the Navy deals with protecting the seas.  As for Navy Pier it's a bit obvious isn't it?"
"Maybe that's what he wants us to think," Adam countered.

Antonio and Kevin had returned a short while ago after meeting with a CI
Kevin trusted. Turns out the CI, one Marcus Wilde, had heard talk about assault rifles for sale.  He had not been able to impart any further information to the Detectives but had assured them he would make some discreet enquiries.  Kevin had sternly cautioned the CI about the grave danger attached to that task and advised him to watch his back as the weapons' arsenal would attract the baddest of the bad element if it was in fact up for sale.  Wilde had taken the warning in his stride.  At forty-four he considered himself better than street smart.  Upon the duos' return to the 21st they had updated the others on the meeting with the long time CI.  As the pair had expected it raised more questions than answers.  Why would King threaten to show the destruction assault rifies could cause if he was getting rid of them?  It did not make any sense.  Wilde had not heard anything about the missing M67s so it was possible the rifles being sold were unrelated to those stolen by King or the man was going to use the hand grenades alone to create havoc, despite his message.

"Anyone else get anywhere with CIs?" Voight asked as he stood in the open doorway of his office.
"No Sarge," Adam divulged in disappointment, they had known the time frame they were working under was not conducive to quick results.
"Just how much damage could M67s do on their own?" Kevin enquired eyeing the three ex-military men in the group.
"It's a fragmentation grenade," Al eventually responded quietly, "it can kill up to 5 meters away and create casualties 15 meters away.  Fragments can be dispersed over a range of 230 meters."
"Damn," Antonio cursed softly all too easily imagining the damage dozens of such weapons could do.
"Did you ever deal with them?" Kevin asked curiously.
"No."
"How about you Jay?" Adam turned towards his friend and was met with a blank expression.
"I dealt with the aftermath of a few," the auburn haired man stated avoiding eye contact and then changed the topic as he looked towards Voight, "so Sarge where are we going to concentrate our highest personnel?"
"We'll have to assume it's one of the bigger targets he'll hit," the seasoned Sergeant obligingly went along with the change in conversation, "more impact equals more exposure."
"Makes sense," Antonio agreed tearing his eyes away from Jay, it constantly surprised him just how much his friend had been through and yet remained standing.
"I'm doing up a list of the top six venues with more comprehensive details," Mouse noted without his fingers stopping their keyboard dance.
"Good.  I want everything you can give me," Voight commented as he eyed the wall clock, "choose a place for takeout. It's on me."
"Thanks Sarge," Adams' stomach grumbled at the mention of food.
"You're worse than a baby," Kevin rolled his eyes at his friends' ever present ferocious appetite, "and before you say it ....,"
"..... you're not a growing boy!" several voices loudly chimed in unison.

A short while later Jay sat at his desk and contemplated the likelihood of stopping King before anyone else was killed.  Reluctantly he came to the grim conclusion it was an impossible task.

"Care to share?" Parker walked over.
"Nothing to share."
"You look like you're carrying the weight of the world."
"Don't see anyone doing Riverdance," Jay pointed out evenly, gesturing to the serious faces around the room.
"I take your point," the Psychologist sighed, "so how bad do you think it will be?"
"Your guess is as good as mine," the Detective deflected the query, "you know King isn't shy on causing maximum destruction."
"No he's not," the New Yorker agreed as he sat on the corner of the other mans' desk, "but you are acquainted with the stolen weapons, I'm not."
"Heck Doc you only need to know they're weapons being acquainted ain't essential," the experienced ex-Ranger imparted wrily.
"Still wish we knew what he planned."
"That would be too easy.  So when is your next conference?"
"I'm finished.  I was scheduled to attend one tomorrow but it was postponed at the last minute."
"Why?" Jay checked absently, his attention already returning to the list before him of the venues Mouse had narrowed down.
"Two of the other Speakers got delayed so the decision was made to postpone the rest of the conference until next month."
"So you're coming back again?" Jay looked away from the list, an intense look overtaking his features.
"Depends on my schedule.   The new date may conflict with other commitments.  Why?"
"Two of the concerts taking place tonight were postponed."
"So?" Parker didn't understand the relevance of that coincidence.
"King knows Murphy and yourself are here," Jay declared as he rose and headed for Voights' office with a pronounced limp, crutches forgotten.
"What's got into him?' Adam looked over as he put down the receiver on another unhelpful call.
"I honestly don't know," the New Yorker admitted ruefully.

"Sarge you got a minute?" Jay asked after tapping on the door and opening it.
"Sure," the seasoned Sergeant shared a look with Murphy knowing the younger man would not interrupt unless it was important then motioned to a chair, "and where the hell are your crutches?"
"Forgot them .....,"
"Not sure how you could," Murphy grimaced after watching the pained walk to the chair, "it's hurting me just watching you!"
"Out with it Halstead," Voight as ever cut to the chase once his subordinate was seated.
"I'll leave you two alone," the HS Assistant Director offered.
"This concerns you ... and Parker."
"Go on," Voight urged as Murphy remained seated.
"King knows Murphy and Parker are in town ....,"
"How do you know that?" Murphy demanded.
"There are two concerts scheduled for tonight that were postponed."
"Out with it," the Sergeants' legendary brusqueness came to the fore, he was just as baffled as their Visitor.
"The concerts had been initially planned for New York ....,"
"Why postpone to here if they were originally meant to take place in New York," Murphy voiced his puzzlement.
"They were postponed over one of the shootings in New York."

Voight considered the new information not entirely convinced of its' accuracy although his Detective clearly was.  It could just be a coincidence but then the 24 hour time frame limited the possible targets down considerably to one date.  Even if the concert or concerts were targets however he was unsure how Jay had arrived at the conclusion that King was aware of Murphy and Parkers' presence in the Windy City.  Looking across his desk at the pale man he frowned.  He was clearly in no condition to be working ......

tbc

CI - Confidential informant

Riverdance - Traditional Irish music       
                        and dance show.