Chapter Sixteen

Evie helped by setting up the speakers and sutch. But no matter what she did she couldn't stop thinking about max.

   "Jesus ch." Eddie said as he went to grab his guitar. "It's like she was destined for an alternate dimension. What do you think Henderson. Are you ready for the most metal concert in history of the world?" Eddie asked as he faced them. Eddie must have seen what was troubling Evie because he sighed. "Go get your girl." He said Eddie then threw his keys at her like it would make a difference. Evie hugged him and without another word she climbed out of the gate and grabbed a bike so she could get to the cruel house as quickly as possible. As she rode the bike as fast as she could.

   Once she got there she saw Erica banging on the door. "Erica what happened?" She asked, concerned. "The door won't open, I don't know." Evie kicked at the door. "Erica, go find something to get it open." Evie said. Erica ran off as Evie continued to kick at the door.

   Suddenly it opened and Evie watched as Max's arms snapped the wrong way. "MAX!" She screamed, running up the stairs. Lucas grabbed her arm and held her back as she continued to scream for Max's.  Suddenly Max dropped to the floor and Evie broke free to catch her. "Max, Max please." Evie cried as she moved some hairs out of her face. "Evie? Evie I..I can't feel or ... see anything." Max cried. "Call an ambulance!" Evie yelled. "It's ok I got you. You're going to get help" Evie said. "Ev I'm so scared, I'm so scared. I don't want to die, ev I don't want to die I'm not ready!" Max cried. Evie rocked back and forth. "Your not going to die just hang on." Evie cried. "I don't want to go in not ready." Max cried. "Your not going to die just hang on! Max, Max, no Max,Max please, stay with me . Please Max." Evie pleaded as she slowly stopped crying.

   "Max stay with me please." Evie cried as she laid her forehead on Max's. "Please Max. Max Max wake up. Lucas help!" Evie yelled. Suddenly Max stopped moving all together. "Max, no no no no no, max stay with me. NO!" Evie yelled as she started to sob over her body the floor started to creek causing Evie to half to pull her away from the opening gate.

       Evie sat next to Max's hospital bed and looked at the door as Robin came in to get her.  Evie stood up and quickly kissed Max's cheek before they went to the school to help.

   The car ride was quiet and Dustin was clearly avoiding her but for what she didn't know. She also wasn't aware of why Eddie hadn't contacted her in some way shape or form.

   After they unload the car she saw her uncle. "Evie!" He yelled and hugged her. "Where's your brother?" He asked as they walked into the school. "I'm not sure." Evie said. Without a word he walked right up to the missing person poster and changed it to a clean one. With no graffiti. "Oh my god." Evie signed. She caught a glimpse of Dustin as he walked over. "Mr. Munson. I'm Dustin Henderson could we talk?" Dustin asked. "I can't imagine we got anything to talk about. My nephew is innocent. He's still missing. I'll put up as many posters as I need till he's found." Wayne said. "He knows that." Evie said, stopping her uncle.

      "I was with him when the earthquake hit." Dustin said. "And where is Eddie now?" Wayne asked. Dustin reached for something in his pockets and Evie felt her heart sink. "No." She muttered as Dustin handed her the guitar pick necklace. "I'm so sorry Evie." Dustin said. Evie leaned into her uncle's and held the necklace to her lips. "No he can't be gone?" Evie cried. Dustin nodded that he was and she laid her head In her hands. "He told me to tell you that he loves you Evie. He will always love you." Dustin said. Evie took Eddie's car keys out of her pocket and looked at the little key chain she had made him in the first grade for father's day. She'd asked her teacher if she could make two. One for Eddie and one for Wayne. She remembered Eddie's smile when she gave it to him and the way he wore it around like a trophy during his 8th grade graduation ceremony.

    Suddenly the cloud turned dark and red and everyone piled around the windows. Dustin laid a hand on Evie's shoulder and she knew it wasn't over.