An Old Friend (Pt.2)

The morning came and the day was fair, with bright blue skies and fluffy clouds. Torstein had brought some good weather for the start of the journey. Before they set off Nathaniel made his farewells with Eira and Lucan. His heart was filled with sorrow at the thought of leaving them as he gave them one last hug. "If trouble comes, you must make for the Mygarian Mountains. You will find safety there," he instructed. As he turned to leave, Eira took his hand. He could feel her warmth almost flowing into him and it lingered even after her fingers slipped from his hand. He would miss them both dearly and it was painful trying to pull himself away. As he stared into Eira's forlorn eyes it was a physical struggle to turn away. A single tear gently rolled down her cheek and Nathaniel slowly backed away. He picked up his pack and slung it over his shoulder, then fastened the glaive to his back, within easy reach.

Nathaniel and Torstein set off on foot along the road heading east. Nathaniel turned and waved his final farewell to his family, before they were out of sight. He could feel the yearning of Eira in his heart, like she had a string attached to it and was pulling him back towards her. The first steps along the road were a struggle but as he pushed on it became gradually easier. Torstein had been a good travelling companion in the past, although he never said too much. Mostly he would just answer Nathaniel's questions. "I will stay with you for the first day and lead you to the road you must take. I have my own path I must take and cannot afford delay," He began cryptically.
"Where will you go?" Nathaniel questioned, wishing the wizard would remain.
"First I must return to Morthalia, to warn the king so they may prepare. Then there are others who must hear the news." He concluded, still not fully answering the question. Nathaniel knew better than to ask any further.

The journey continued mostly in silence, though there was little for either of them to say and they were both content not to speak. Away in the distance Nathaniel could see a mountain range ahead of them. Although the road departed from the lake, it still remained ever present on their left side. This land was unknown to him as he had never ventured away from the settlement since arriving. As he thought back to that day he wondered if this was the road Martyn had taken before he left. He had often thought of his old friend over the years and wondered if he found somewhere to settle. Martyn and those that followed him onward had lost much in the city. Although Nathaniel found peace by the lake and was happy to settle, some had not. They were perhaps not ready to stop running, eager to leave things far behind them. It was possible that Martyn was still travelling the roads. He had left east and for all Nathaniel knew the land could stretch on forever eastward. If it was not Torstein telling him of the seas and islands to the east he would have never thought about it. Perhaps Martyn had reached the sea and crossed over them.

After a long day of walking the light started to fade from the sky as the sun dipped below the horizon. They found a sheltered spot not too far from the road to set up their camp. Nathaniel had a blanket for a bed and canvas just big enough to give shelter should it rain. With Torstein there he did not expect the weather to turn foul for long though. Finding some suitable wood he made two steaks to plant in the ground and hold up one side of the canvas. The other he secured on the ground with three fairly large rocks. It was not much of a shelter but it would provide some cover from the wind and rain. He sat down next to the fire which Torstein conjured and took out some bread and salted meat from his pack for his dinner. As he sat looking into the flames and sharing in their warmth, it dawned on him that he would need to obtain himself a bow. There would no doubt be times when he would need to hunt and catch his own food. He could not rely on a warm tavern at each leg of the journey and he did not know what towns would lie on his path.