69. The Wallet

The three of them headed down the hall to 2517.

"Hold it." Tommy spotted a wallet on the bed.

"That must be the wallet I heard Terrence and Austin talking about planting in our room to get us tossed out of the tournament," said Ethan.

"Don't touch it," said Bubba.

Dewayne stuck his head in, "I just picked up an officer assistance call for this room." He motioned back towards the hallway. "You got two detectives in the lobby heading up here right now."

"Shit," said Bubba. He scooped up the wallet and slipped it inside his jacket. "You boys ain't cleanin up cause we're outta here, right now."

In less time that it took to walk to the elevator, the five of them were in it with the doors closing just as the other elevator doors opened and the detectives stepped out.

A huge pre-game crowd filled the main floor. The mob forced them to the fringes of the lobby. They stood out a little too prominently for Bubba's liking. He spotted Berto and several of his Nevada 13 hanging close to the hotel entrance.

Bubba turned to Lamar and Dewayne, "We got company. And I just got the best idea this old brain's had in a long time."

"What's that?" said Dewayne nervously. "You know you've only got about five minutes before those cops are back down here looking for your boys." And even more nervously, "And here I am hanging with an alleged thief. This ain't gonna look good on my record, Bubba." Dewayne's face turned serious, "So, your good idea can come out any time soon."

"Don't worry." Bubba turned to Tommy, "You got your gizmo?"

"Your what?" said Lamar and Dewayne.

"Roger that."

Bubba motioned to Antoine. "You get yourself over there and register for the game. Lamar you go with him. Make sure nothing happens between here and there."  Now it was Dewayne's turn. "Dewayne, see that ugly Colombian over there? Get close but don't let him notice you. Watch for my signal."

"And the signal. What do I do with the signal?"

Bubba nodded at Berto. "You're gonna arrest him real soon, cause he's gonna be in possession of this here stolen wallet."

"Now how you gonna do that with all those goons around him?"

"Don't you worry about that. I have my ways," said Bubba. "When I signal you, call in the detectives and you got yourself some fame and glory."

Bubba grinned. Proud of his little scheme. This should take Berto out of the picture for at least a coupla days. Long enuf for these boys to win the tournament and let me and my homeys cash in.

"But you're holdin' the wallet."

"Yeah, but not for long. Trust me. Once it goes down, I'll scratch my nose and you grab him."

Dewayne nodded and drifted off into the crowd.

"Let's go Tommy."

The two of them slipped around the corner and into a nearby washroom. Bubba handed Tommy the wallet. "You got the plan?"

"Yeah. Keep everybody out of here for a few minutes."

"Can you do it?"

"Yeah, I'm getting real comfortable with this stuff."

"Damn geniuses." Bubba growled under his breath. As Tommy closed the door Bubba headed off two washroom arrivals. "Sorry folks, washroom closed right now, sewage backup. Smell that. Not a good thing, dangerous, bacteria." He smiled reassuringly at them.

They scampered out and Bubba headed back to the stall. "You there, Tommy? Tommy?" He repeated louder, looking foolish as two more people walked into the washroom and found him talking to an empty stall. "What you lookin' at?" He scowled at them as he walked to the exit. "Can't a man say goodbye to some fried chicken?"