16. Football Practice

The day moved along remarkably well. Lance and Antoine's old gang were friendly but kept their distance, and their attitudes, to themselves. Antoine chatted with them but he no longer walked their walk.

Antoine and Ethan convinced Tommy to stay and watch practice. Ethan told him he needed his support since it would be the first day with his new team. Antoine told him he needed some pointers - Tommy saw the humor in that comment.

Tommy got to the bleachers above where the cheerleaders practiced. Might as well make the most of the whole opportunity, he thought. He watched the field and the cheerleaders. He checked them out one by one. His eyes settled on Kaitlin as always. Definitely the prettiest girl in the school. The one the players were doing their best to impress.

She looked up and caught him watching her. She smiled and waved at him. He banged his glasses half off his head as he returned the wave. He wondered why he always managed to be such a klutz. She didn't laugh. She just kept smiling at him.

He turned to the field and tried to pick people out. A challenge when they all wear helmets and unnumbered practice jerseys. But he had no trouble spotting the person floating the forty yard passes. Right on the button and right into the arms of the other person he had no trouble spotting. Antoine on the receiving end and Ethan on the delivery. He heard the oohs and aahs from below him. He looked down to see the cheerleaders checking out the new kid.

Coach returned from the school. He held a team meeting and then resumed practice. Ethan definitely added a lot. The whole team picked it up. They ran and tackled harder and worked through their drills with more spirit. A new quarterback meant new life.

The practice ended. Ethan and Antoine got a lot of accolades from the other players. Tommy noticed the cheerleaders positioning themselves for conversation with members of the team. He watched Kaitlin too. She had her eye on someone but she had very good girl skills. Tommy couldn't tell who it might be.

He climbed down from the stands as the team headed in to shower and change. "Hey Tanya, I didn't know you were a football fan," Tommy joked. He had umped into her taking the short cut home across the football field.

"What, you didn't know I was on the cheerleading squad?" Tanya snapped back.

Tommy laughed. "I can just imagine the outfits you would design for them."

Tanya smiled at the thought of an all-Goth cheerleading squad.

"I loved to stay and chat but I have to get home and pack."

"Oh, where you headed?"

"COD Tournament. My dad's company is holding its annual gaming tournament in Vegas. It's become the largest tournament in the world. We get the best gamers there. It's also a good opportunity for my dad to find new programming talent," added Tanya.

"You should go Tommy."

"Yeah, I'd kick ass at a tournament like that for sure."

"Well, I don't know about that. There is an awful lot of talent out there. In fact there is this one player... have you heard of Th3K1ng0fK1ng5?"

"Who hasn't?" said Tommy.

Well my dad is hoping he shows up at the tournament. After seeing his game guides and hearing how much everyone fears him online, he wants to talk to him about a possible programming job with his company.

"If he shows up, you won't stand a chance Thomas, no one will. This guy is unbeatable. Believe me I know, I've played with him."

"Really? So who is this guy?" He wanted to see if she had an idea at all that it could be him.

"I have no idea. He's extremely clever and extremely secretive. He even disguises his voice. I hope he shows up. I sure would like to meet him," Tanya smiled.

"You like a guy you've never met?" said Tommy.

"Well I kind of know him." Tanya changed the subject. "If you come to Vegas I will arrange for you to meet my dad." said Tanya.

"That's a great offer Tanya. Cool, I'll give it some thought."

"Gotta run. Bye Thomas."

"See ya."

Hmm this trip could be a win-win for me. I can't wait to see the look on her face when she discovers I am Th3K1ng0fK1ng5. I win this tournament and there is no way she can refuse a date with me. Plus I'm damn curious about what this software deal is that Tanya hinted at. Tommy pictured the announcer from the MMA tournaments announcing his arrival in Vegas.

'For the thousands in attendance and the millions of fans around would

watching on pay per view Here is the one, the only COD CHAMPION OF THE

WORLD....'

Th3K1ng0fK1ng5 just might have to make an appearance.