26. Game On

The team rose as one. They roared as they made their way to the middle of the room. Grabbing, bumping and shaking. Releasing whatever they could of the butterflies that pumped high octane adrenaline through their bodies.

Antoine walked over to the garbage bin and threw up. He looked up from the bin as he wiped his mouth. He gave Tommy the smile he needed to see and the laugh he needed to hear. "Don't worry, bro. It's a tradition with me. Puke before play." He laughed again, "Makes me lighter. Makes me run faster than a chicken in the ghetto."

The comment got Ethan laughing as well. The two of them motioned to Tommy to join them.

"I'm coming."

They nodded, shouting at each other as they jogged down the corridor. Tommy followed them out. He wished he could be more a part of it but he just wasn't there yet.

The noise from the stadium was deafening as they reached the team. They stood at the entrance waiting to be announced. Those at the front could see into the packed stands. Both sides. One filled with Middleton High fans and the other filled with Lakeview High's faithful. All of them crazy with anticipation of the big game.

These two team had a long checkered history.

Antoine stood beside Coach. The announcer called for them. They moved out of the tunnel and onto the sunlit field. Ethan held back and jogged with Tommy at a gait he could manage. "Stay close to me Tommy. We're going to be jogging across their side of the field before we get to ours." He caught Tommy's eyes, "Stay close and look straight ahead.

"I think I'm gg..going to puke, Ethan."

"No, sorry." He smiled, "Only one guy per game gets to puke. You have to put your name in three days in advance. I guess Antoine did that."

"Really?"

Ethan laughed and Tommy joined in, embarrassed.

"Are my legs moving?"

Ethan nodded, "Just keep them moving, Tommy."

They ran the sidelines right in front of the Lakeview High fans. Yells and taunts everywhere. For sure, 'Twinkie Tommy' was their favorite.

Ethan said nothing. They got to the Lakeview High bench. It got ugly. Ethan glanced at Tommy, sweating and breathing hard inside his helmet. Ethan stopped suddenly, turned, and faced the entire screaming bench. He didn't say anything. He just stared at each of them - everyone he could get with eye contact. It took Tommy a few steps before he realized what had happened. He looked back at the throng of players now nose to nose with Ethan. He stopped. He didn't want to. He just wanted to keep lumbering, all the way out of the stadium and back to the safe sophistication of his basement lab. Yet, he stopped. His could feel his heart pounding through his body as he turned and made his way back to Ethan.

The players saw him coming. Their taunts and 'Twinkie Tommy' jeers avalanched over him. He plodded up right beside Ethan and grabbed the one closest to Ethan. Pulled the back of his jersey so hard the guy fell back into three others. The players swarmed them forcing the officials to jump in and separate everyone.

They moved off with the taunts running after them as they reached the fifty-yard line and jogged across to their bench.

"What the hell was that about?" Coach glared at them, "Now we kick off with a fifteen yard penalty."

"Sorry coach," mumbled Ethan.

He and Tommy walked over to join Antoine.

"Yo, Ironman." Antoine shouted as he slapped the breathless Tommy on the back. "You some kind of strong, homey."

Ethan smiled and slapped the side of Tommy's helmet.

"Hey, take it easy," said Tommy.

"Coach noticed." Added Antoine.

"Noticed what?"

"How many bad boys you pushed over back there. Careful my man. You gonna end up playin' if ya don't watch out."

"Oh god, no."

but