☾ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4 ☼

Start from the beginning

"I'm new to Argon Prep; I arrived here last night. I just go by Aaliyah." I retort, remembering him also in the photo and how Val would call him the carefree person in the group as he was the one that took her to get a nose piercing last spring.

Asher and I both sat down horizontally around the table, then the others sat down opposite of us, and the waiter comes along to ask for drinks.

"We're all going to have a Mimosa," Olivia answers, then looks over at me, "What do you want?"

Her eyes wash over me as if my tethered air in hers remind her that I am currently in their space, like a sore thumb amongst the ones that belong.

However, I'll never let her see me sweat again. My head turns to the waitress with a big smile, "Tea with lemon, please."

As the waitress leaves the table, Zoya asks, "Why isn't there a seat for him? Isn't he coming?"

"I tried guys, he said he had other matters to attend to," Asher groans, lifting his hands in defeat.

"I expected that you know since-" Zoya was going to finish her sentence until Olivia spoke over her,

"I'm sorry, but why is she here?"

Asher whispers, "Olivia quit it."

"No, Ash, it hasn't even been a year yet. I love you, Zo, but now isn't the time to fill in a spot that not even God himself could replace."

Zoya's eyes flicker down, "Out of all people, I know that, but Aaliyah is not replacing anyone. She is my roommate, and I wanted to offer a warm welcome. She would have wanted this."

Olivia darkly cackles, "Yeah? Well, it's not like she can oppose now." Abruptly getting up, Olivia snatches her purse from the table and walks away.

Zoya calls out for her and gets up with her things, looking at me, "I'm sorry. I have to go mend things with her right now. Ash, can you take her back?"

He nods, and I tell her that it is fine and I'll see her back at the dorm, then she quickly rushes after her.

Oddly, I admired the way Olivia reacted toward me because her pain was loud while mine is silent. The crippling agony in her eyes and the quiet voice crack at the unfathomable image of replacing Val was something I too understood, but can't feel. I wish my broken soul could send signals to my body and let me burst into all the emotions of grief, but it won't let me. Is it bad that I envy her for it?

Awkwardly getting up, Asher leaves a hundred pounds on the table and gestures his head discreetly toward the door like we are in a top-secret mission that just got compromised.

"Run," he mouths.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion but quickly disband as he runs to the exit of the terrace door. Out of reflex, I move back from my chair and grab my purse all in one go and run after him. The adrenaline rushed into my veins as people sitting were watching us both act like little children fooling around in a formal setting. Almost to the door, our waitress reached into my peripheral view holding a black tray with our drinks in her left hand.

Fuck.

Her eyes grew fearful seeing me come her way that she instinctively swayed her tray to the side while I dunked underneath and poured it all on an elderly couple's table. "I'm so sorry," I yelled back.

We made it outside, and the bright sun encircled us back into its orbit. "What the actual fuck, Asher?" I spoke exasperated, placing my hands on my bended knees to calm my heart from violently racing.

"Ash," his voice says lowly,

I look up at him, "What?"

"You sound like my máma before she scolds me when you say my name. Ash, yes?" He says humorously and starts walking the way we came in.