Chapter 50 - Bonds of Love and Kinship

Rhoz and Alyn trudged through the snow together, sharing the protection of the Cloak of Darkness. Panax had led the way to the border but made no attempt to cross the magical barrier. He had wandered off to hunt for more clumps of grass while the women used their amulets of passage to slip through the barrier at a quiet place which was relatively unguarded.

They threaded their through the hostile realm in silence, hip to hip, gathering strength from each other. The encampment of soldiers appeared endless. Rhoz used her Sight to scan each tent for magical powers, and discovered only twenty or so mages clumped near the crossroads and a dozen more scattered among the tents -- not nearly as many as she had expected. Halgrim was harvesting the fruit of his propensity for slaughtering anyone whose power seemed to rival his own.

As they passed the Akynadarian camp, Rhoz wondered whether her former compatriot of the stables, Gorgo Akkynson, had attained his wish of being a warrior to impress the ladies. Despite the desperate situation, she was glad to be exempt from combat. She could never kill Gorgo Akkynson.

By the time they reached the Great Bridge, morning had fully come. Rhoz was so exhausted that she could hardly put one foot in front of another. Alyn looked around, searching for a place that would not betray their presence. She led Rhoz a few paces off the road to a fallen log which had been cleared of snow, beside the remnants of a campfire. The ashes were cold, but the snow was so trampled that they left no distinguishable tracks.

Rhoz closed her eyes and leaned against her friend's shoulder. Mother was right. I should have stayed in bed.

Alyn pressed something into her hand. Wear this. Acontis bespelled it for me to give me strength and endurance.

What about you? Rhoz asked as her fingers explored the cool smoothness of the stone amulet. You fought all day!

I have not given birth recently.

Rhoz felt revived as soon as she slipped the thong of the amulet over her head. However, she felt far from able to walk the long and weary walk to Muktarshold.

You must go on without me, she told Alyn in the weary silence of her heart.

No. How would I ever find my way?

I will tell you everything you need to know.

Only one of us can wear the cloak if we separate, Alyn reminded her.

You take it. I will find my way home.

I will not leave you! Alyn asserted with all her old fire. You did not leave me.

Dearest Lyn!   Rhoz leaned against her friend and allowed herself to relax. We must trust the Avatar to show us what to do.

Immediately, they were enveloped in the same mystic aura that Rhoz remembered from their blood-mingling. Her toes warmed, and her heart swelled with confidence.

They would succeed, or their lives would end. Either way, they would be together.

"Your heart to mine," Alyn whispered.

Your heart to mine.

Forgetting herself, Rhoz closed her eyes and began to chant the bonding ritual in the Ur-Tongue:

"We journey together

in darkness and in light:

Earth and air, fire a--"

Alyn put a warning finger over her lips. Someone is coming.

Rhoz opened her eyes. An empty wagon drawn by four splendid bay draught horses had just stopped by the side of the road. The driver carelessly tossed the fur blanket from his knees into the wagon bed behind him and climbed down, looking like a furry bear in his heavy clothes. He moved towards them, dragging his leg.