005

"Listen, I'm not really sure how to start this. And I'll understand you completely if you don't want to believe me but-" Bia cracks her knuckles and smiles nervously. "-I'm just saying this because.. oh I don't know. Just cause."

"And what exactly is it you want to tell me?"

Judging by her behavior alone, there's a lot she wants to say. The only problem is, she doesn't know where to start. Her gaze stills, looking at nothing in particular and then diverts back into focus.

"So as I was on my way here this morning, I kinda saw something... on the way..? There was this kid who got cornered and um.. a bunch of freshmen. They were tossing him arou- what I'm trying to say is. Jungkook's causing trouble. And it's the bad kind. Like. Bullying kind."

"I'm sorry?"

"Yeah. I was shocked at first too but I swear to god I saw what I saw."

You're trying to wrap your head around the new information, blinking. "Are you sure it's not the other way around? Because I had a talk with him yesterday and he said he was the one getting bullied. It's not that I don't believe you or anything. But I just..you know."

Thankfully, Bia understands where you're coming from. "No it's fine. I couldn't believe it at first either. I mean. Who'd expect someone as reserved as him could cause trouble? I just thought I should tell you. No biggie."

She's not pushing you to believe her. And you appreciate that. But would Jungkook really lie to you?

Then again. It's not like he confessed he was a victim yesterday. You did all the talking. You made the assumptions. It was all you.

This is giving you a headache. The child you used to babysit. That same quiet boy who shys away every time a stranger comes close- is he really capable of bullying someone else?

"I'll have a talk with him." Bia isn't one to lie. But it's difficult to grasp the idea of Jungkook actually bullying another student. Especially since he's never been like that at his previous schools.

Bia kept this information all to herself until the last class of the day. Because she knows you'd be bothered by it.

Today, Mrs Jeon asked if you could do her a favor and drive her boy home. The car ride was silent. Bia distracted herself with her phone while you focused on driving. Jungkook sat at the back seat, occupied by a yellow dog plushie you like to keep in your car.

There was tension in the car. Bia constantly glanced your way. Like she was waiting for you to say something and break the ice of silence.

Because it was eating her too.

Eventually you made it to her place and for the first time since she got in the car, she loudly says. "Thanks for the ride, Y/n. See you tomorrow. See you Jungkook!"

That temporary cut of tension made you properly breath for a moment. He transfers to the front seat and you leave after making sure Bia safely enters her house.

"Did you apply the ointment I gave you?" It's a twenty minute drive to get to his place. The least you can do to kill time is to start a conversation.

"Yeah."

You stop under a red light, gently tapping the outline of the wheel. Bia words from earlier resonates in your head. You want to bring it up and lure the truth out of him but it's hard.

What if it isn't true?

You don't want him to think you're doubting him.

Then that would mean Bia lied to you. But that's impossible. However, even if she did, what would she gain by lying?

"I lied."

Your tapping automatically stops. After a moment of silence, he proceeds.

"I lied. When I said it didn't hurt. It actually hurts. A lot."

You let out a sigh, still waiting for the traffic light to change. Parts of his face is brightened by the floodlight peaking through the glass windows.

Either he's telling the truth or he's mastered the expression of deceit.

"Kook. You know I'm not a fan of liars right?"

"I know." He says. "That's why I'm telling you the truth right now."

"Is that all you want to tell me?"

His gaze flickers to collide with yours. Conveyed beneath those dark doe eyes is a look of confusion. For the slightest moment, he displays a look of a person that was caught.

"What do you want to hear, Noona?"

"I don't know. Maybe the whole story? How did you get that black eye in the first place?"

"I was punched."

"By who? And why?" Even you can tell you're pressing him to give you an answer. Wether it's the truth or not.

"I can't tell you that."

"Why not?"

"Just because. And besides. I already took care of it so it doesn't matter."

"Kook, you know I hate it when you lie to m-"

"I'm not lying." He cuts you off with a low voice. Enough to bring a chill down your spine. "I would never lie to you."

Your can feel your heart race against your chest, feeling your palm producing nervous sweat.

You don't like his reaction at all.

Maybe Bia wasn't lying. You've been with him long enough to recognize certain behaviors.

He pokes the inside of his cheeks when he's annoyed.

He draws invisible circles on surfaces when he's impatient.

He will not hesitate to look you in the eye and lie.

He's doing that right now.