24|Hide and seek

I couldn't count the minutes I spent crying into Levi's chest with two hands. The nurses had to come to pry me off of him after a while. They had no idea what it was like when he wasn't around.

"Great now I smell like medicine and cleaning products," he groans.

I roll my eyes and zip up my suitcase. "Better than dying, don't you think?"

He chuckles. "Now why are you acting like you didn't miss me pooks? You even tried kissing me awake, how desperate," he smirks.

My eyes dilate. "How do you know I kissed you?"

"I forgot to tell you but I woke up long before you came, then asked the doctor to lie," he smiles.

"You... you-"

"Shhhh," he interrupts. "Do you really want to castigate me? Let's imagine I didn't wake up at all-"

I run into his arms, cutting him off. "No... I don't want to imagine," I whimper. "That would be like a nightmare."

He pats my hair. "Hey, it's alright. I'm here now."

His ringing burner phone discontinues the heartfelt moment. So I let go of him and allow him to tend to the caller.

We're currently at Jessie's apartment, retrieving our things. I have no idea where we're going next or which car is taking us there. But for some reason, I feel Levi has all this under control. "Okay, the car is here," he says, stuffing his phone in his pocket.

"The car?" I rephrase.

"I told you I have people everywhere, now give me your bag."

I shake my head. "No. You're still injured, so let me handle this." Struggling with my left arm, I sling the strap of my luggage bag over my shoulder and grab the handle of his suitcase. "Let's go."

"Cassi... this isn't necessary," he sighs. "Your arm is hurt and I hate being-"

"I don't care. I don't care if you're the dominant one, okay? I've got this under control," I snap.

"What's going on in here?" asks Jessie, leaning her shoulder on the door frame.

"Hey," Levi smiles. "Thanks again... for everything."

She nods halfheartedly. "Cassi and I are friends, so I did it because I wanted to. Not because of you," she states.

"Either way... I'm also sorry for the way I acted earlier, like a-"

"A fool? A jerk? A mannerless prick?" she intervenes.

"Yeah... those," he mutters.

"It's fine. I forgive you, but you had better change, Levi Hargreaves, not that I care or anything." He slowly approaches her, taking her hand in his. "I will, trust me." He plants his million-dollar kiss on her knuckles, her cheeks reddening a bit.

She yanks her hand away and clears her throat. "Okay, that's enough." I walk forward, wheeling the suitcase. "I'll miss you, Jessie."

"Don't worry, you have my number and I have yours. We can still talk once in a while, okay?" she smiles.

I nod, my eyes stinging from the incoming tears. She throws her arms around me, rubbing my back. "You'll be okay," she whispers before stepping away. "Now let's see you two off... Cassi let me help with those bags."

"No no it's okay," I insist.

Levi rolls his eyes. "Fine let's go."

We head towards the stairs. The moment I reach the first step, I trip. My heart stops and I squeeze my eyes shut, readying myself for the impact. But a strong pair of arms grab my waist, stopping what could have been the end of me.