17|A temporary disguise

"Mum... can I ask you something?..."

"Hm?" She rolls across her bed and stretches her arms out. "I didn't find you in your room when I checked earlier. You snuck out huh?" she grumbles, her voice hoarse. "You've been at that house again... haven't you?"

I really can't tell if she's sleeping-talking because her eyes are still closed, but her words are telling me otherwise. "Is there anything I can help you with? You had a nightmare and you want to sleep in my room tonight?"

"No... I'm not a kid anymore," I snap. "I just... it's about Levi."

"What? He broke up with you after what happened at dinner?"

"No... he... we were just planning a date... what would you say if I told you our date venue was a bit far from town?"

"How far?

"Chicago far... it's just a hypothetical-"

Her eyes fling open. "No. And let it remain hypothetical. I trust Levi but not to the extent that he's taking you so far... aren't you suspicious yourself? Why he would want an ordinary date to take place in Chicago."

"But-"

"No Cassi... is there anything else you want to ask?"

"No mum... good night."

•••

That's how the conversation went.

I couldn't convince her to let me follow Levi to Chicago. So she left me with only one choice.

To go without her permission.

It's going to be so bad when she finds out I ran away, but in my defense, I'm doing this so Ace won't kill me. Well, I might end up dead either way.

I fold the last of my clothes into my luggage bag and zip it up. Underwear... check... toothbrush... check.

I hoist the luggage bag and discreetly head down the stairs to wait in the living room for Levi. Immediately he comes I have to scurry out of here or my mum will catch me and end our plans. I have to be the first to answer the door.

I glance at the clock. 3:10. That's still a while away from 5. But I'm not wakeful in the least. The hardest battle you can ever partake in is the one with sleep. Such a formidable opponent. I think I'm about to give in.

I close my eyes and find myself drifting away. I surrender, and sleep. Ding Dong. I bolt up and glance at the clock. 5:04. Already?

I race to the door and open it to see Levi standing there, looking charming as always. In his messy hair bun and black leather coat. "Let's go," I state and grab his wrist, trying to drag him off the porch but he's not moving. "What's wrong with you?" he asks.

"You're already four minutes late. I just want us to get there quick."

"Cassi I'm exhausted from driving... I was hoping to get some rest before starting another journey."

"Alright we can go to Starbucks... or any place of your choice... a fancy restaurant... the bar..."

He raises a brow. "There's something up with you... is everything okay?"