TWENTY-NINE

Zach's POV

"How long is it been since I lost my consciousness? Am I staying here so long already? Do I need to open my eyes now?" Tanong ko sa katabi ko.

We're here in the middle of nowhere. All I can see is white. Everything is white. Even our clothes. We're many in this nowhere and... maybe because I'm staying here for so long that's why I know why they're also here.

"Yes, you're staying here for so long already, Zach. You need to go back to your friends now--to your family. They're worried, you know. You need to open your eyes now." She said with a smile while looking at the guy in front. He looks like he doesn't know where he will go.

"But I still want to stay here." I whispered but maybe she still heard what I just said because she suddenly chuckled.

"Do you know what is this place, right?" She asked before she look at me.

"...Yeah."

"Then why do you want to stay here?" She asked before she chuckled again.

"Because you're here. I still want to be with you. I want to talk to you more. I don't want to be away from you again." Pahina ng pahina ang boses ko habang paunti-unting inihiga ang ulo sa balikat niya.

"You're turning into weak man when you're with me, Zach. You're letting your guard down."

"Because you're my safe paradise." Nakangiting sabi ko at ipinikit ang mga mata ko. "That's why it's okay to let my guard down."

Narinig ko itong tumawa ng malakas. Hilig niyang gawin iyon. She really like to laugh and smile everytime. Yung tipong akala mo ay palagi siyang masaya at walang kaproble-problema. She's a kind and gentle girl. Her laughter and smiles are sweet and pure.

"If I am with you I don't need to fear of being betrayed. If I am with you I don't need to act like I am the boss or the prince. If I am with you I can be myself. If I am with you I can be a normal guy. No pain, no sadness, no past. I can forget those things that keeps on hurting me."

"But being with me means leaving your friends and family, Zach."

Unti-unti akong nagmulat dahil sa sinabi nito. Tiningala ko siya at siya at nakitang nakatingin na ito sa akin habang marahan na hinahaplos ang buhok ko. Nakangiti pa rin ito.

"I also want to be selfish and ask you to stay here and be with me forever. But I know that I can't do that. Because I'm sure that those people who loves you will surely suffer. I don't want to hurt them, Zach."

"Me too." Itinaas ko ang kamay at marahang hinaplos ang pisngi niya. "But if I open my eyes now... this will be the last time that I will see you. This will be the last time that I can touch you. This will be our last conversation."

"How can you be so sure about that, honey?" Natatawang tanong nito habang nananatiling hinahaplos ang buhok ko. "You can always see me in your dreams, Zach. Remember what I told you before I left?"

Yeah... I remembered now. She left me. That's why she's here because she left me.

She died.

She has this illness that cannot be cured. Walang doktor ang kaya siyang paggalingin. Mayroon siyang sakit na paunti-unti siyang pinapatay. At wala kaming magagawa para pigilan iyon. Maski ang pinakamagaling na mga doktor na nilapitan namin ay sinabi na wala silang magagawa sa kalagayan niya.

She died at the age of fifteen. It's been ten years since I last saw her alive. Sampung na rin kaming hindi nagkakasama.

At that age... masaya pa kami. Kahit may sakit siya ay hindi iyon naging hadlang para maging masaya ang araw-araw namin. Naglalaro ng kagaya ng ginagawa ng mga normal na bata. Nakakatawa ng walang iniisip na problema.