CHAPTER 20

Jayden's POV

Helena looks beautiful now more than ever. There is a smile on her face which adds to the brightness of her face.

She wasn't this beautiful when she was alive. Do the dead look more beautiful than when they were alive?

I find myself smiling as she inches her face closer to me, and my gaze settles on her soft pink lips.

My eyes close on its own accord as I lean forward for a kiss. Just then, I hear a loud sound and my eyes flicker open.

"Ouch!" Someone screams and a loud thud on the floor follows.

I sit up in bed, looking confused for a while and wondering what has happened and where I am.

Then I remembered. 

I am not the only one sleeping on the bed. I am married now. Not to Helena but someone else.

Someone else is Isabella, my secretary. 

The same person who just fell off the bed. Probably because I was leaning in for a kiss, thinking she is Helena, my dead ex-fiancee.

I scramble out of bed immediately, running over to the other side to help her up.

The pillow was separating us. How the hell did she get close to me? I thought we already set the boundaries since she came into my room last night to spend the night.

I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't too agitated by the thought of my mother's presence. I know what she can do and any slight mistake from any of us can bring suspicion about this marriage.

I help Isabella up as she rubs her foot, wincing in pain. Feeling embarrassed after helping her back onto the bed, I scratch my head nervously, looking for what excuse to give.

It was obvious she was deep asleep while I was dreaming of something impossible.

The moment Isabella's back touched the bed after she came in last night, she fell into a deep slumber which indicates how deep of a sleeper she is.

What was I thinking? I am not the type to have dreams like this. Why does it have to be on a night like this?

"What happened?" she asks softly, confusion skating her expression as she glances around, probably looking for what pushed her off the bed.

With my arms akimbo, I keep a straight face, feigning anger. "Why the hell is wrong with you?"

She snaps her head towards me immediately, her confusion intensifying. "Di…d…I…do..something wrong?" She stammers, fear, and embarrassment replacing her countenance.

Pointing to the bed, I grit my teeth. "How can a King's size bed not contain us both? Where is the pillow we used for the demarcation?"

She shivers and turns around, looking for the so-called pillow. I really do not know if she was the one who disposed of them or me. The pillows are right on the floor on the other side of the bed. I saw them before running over to this place and I have a feeling I am responsible.

What baffles me is the fact that I don't usually do this and I am a light sleeper. How the hell did I do all of these without knowing?

"I'm…so…sorry", she bites her lips when she limps to the other side to see the three pillows we arranged in the middle of the bed to grant each other space before sleeping off, on the floor.

"I shouldn't have slept here. I know I am a deep sleeper and…" she pauses.

My anger dissolves immediately and guilt sets in.

"It's fine. I will sleep on the couch. You can go back to your room tomorrow", I dismiss the issue and walk past her to grab the pillows.

I throw two of the pillows on the bed and go to the L-shaped sofa which isn't too far away from the bed. I have never tried sleeping on this sofa and I hope to catch some sleep.

It is just 3 am and I didn't sleep until it was 1 am after tossing and turning in bed, thinking about everything and the work I have to deal with at work today.

Isabella didn't toss or turn at all till I fell asleep. I feel bad for making her feel responsible for falling off the bed.

She needs to go back to her room tomorrow night. I also need to address the maids. I already told Paulina and I wonder if she had told the others. I didn't ask her to, so I doubt it. 

I will do that tomorrow before Isabella moves, but not until after I have warned them never to let this known to the outside world.

This secret should remain here. For one year.

I flop to the sofa, dropping the pillow. I turn to see Isabella still standing and biting her lower lip.

Is this what she does whenever she is nervous? I have never seen her bite her lips this way since she started working as my secretary.

Today, being together as a couple and not as a worker, I have seen her bite her lips countless times.

"Aren't you going to go to bed?" I question harshly.

"No", she shakes her head. "I should take the sofa instead." 

"What?!" I exclaim in disbelief.

"I feel responsible for interrupting your sleep. I don't want to do that any further. You should take the bed, I have no issues sleeping on the sofa."

"No. Go to bed!" I dismiss her and lay down on the sofa with my head propped on the pillow.

The sofa seems too small for me so I adjust. I turn again, trying to find a proper sleeping posture when I see Isabella from my peripheral view, still standing with the hope that I will allow her to sleep here while I sleep soundly on the bed.

I might be hard-hearted but not ruthless. 

The fact remains that she is my wife and my responsibility. I will make sure to stick to all my promises to her unless she doesn't stick to them herself.

It is inappropriate for her to sleep here while I enjoy sleeping on the massive bed. 

I would rather endure the pain of this overnight. By tomorrow, everything will be resolved and we don't have to share a bed or a room anymore.

Not telling her to go to bed again, I find the right posture as I lay on my right side, my back to her and I close my eyes.

I have done what any gentleman would have done. It is left to her to take advantage of the situation and enjoy her sleep on her wedding night.

With her thought in mind and the curiosity of knowing whether she has gone back to bed or not, I did not know when sleep envelopes me.

****

Hurray, chapter 20 is here!

Comment your thoughts about the book so far and don't forget to vote and recommend the book to others.

Thank you so much for the support, God bless you💓