fifty-four

The next morning was everything but normal

The next morning was everything but normal. Of course, by the time they got back to Tannyhill, Rafe, Limbrey and Renfield were gone, leaving the group to look around the island room for clues.

"Okay, he buried the treasure at the foot of the angel, so we find the angel in the room." Pope said.

"Start looking, start looking." JJ exclaimed.

"Spread out." Kie added.

Iris watched as Wheezie came and stood in the doorway, watching everything unfold.

"This has to do with last night, doesn't it?"

"Yup." Iris replied.

"There's a church over here!" Sarah said, pointing as she walked over.

"Yeah, check the church!" John B agreed.

"Looking for an angel." Pope muttered.

"Could this be an angel?" JJ asked, looking confused, "Maybe?"

"Lighthouse maybe?" Pope asked.

Iris watched as JJ focused on something on the wall. A tree. She walked over behind him as he called the group over, "Hey, yo! Hey, guys, I think I found something. Come here. This humongous tree is still on Goat Island. You know what it's called?"

Iris gasped, "Angel oak. Wait, Rafe said something about this last night, so this must be it!"

JJ pointed to the painting, "Look there. There's the keyhole."

"Wait-"

Pope cut off John B, "That means the cross is buried at the foot of the angel. Wow, that must be where he put it. That's where they are right now! We have to go!"

"I think I'm Sherlock Holmes, alright? You're welcome by the way."

"Better than Sherlock, JJ." Iris said as he smiled at her.

"Yeah, let's go, Sherlock!" John B huffed.

And out they went to Goat Island in the Twinkie.

"There it is. Angel Oak." Iris said, a small smile on her face.

"Someone's in a good mood." John B muttered to JJ.

"Yeah. I think we all know why."

"You okay, man, for real?"

JJ gave him a small smile, "Right now, I'm never better."

"Atta boy." John B groaned, "Ah, shit. Tide's coming in. Um-"

Pope spoke up, "Hey, wait a second, look. They already came through here. Those are obviously Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go."

"Hmm, what do you think, chief?" JJ asked John B.