thirty-two

The days following the news about John B and Sarah were awful. Iris hadn't seen the Pogues because she had wanted to be alone.

Her sister was gone.

Even if she wasn't biologically her sister, she was still her fucking sister.

And she was gone.

And it was all Rafe and Ward's faults.

To her, it didn't matter now who was to blame for the Sheriff's death because they were fucking gone. If she filed a report, no one would believe her. It was their word against hers at this point, and with her mom representing Ward, she was bound to lose.

If they were still alive, things would be gravely different.

Here's the catch. Iris' mom didn't think that John B did it, but instead she was convinced it was Ward. She'd heard the rumours about Rafe, but wasn't completely convinced about it due to the issues with Ward over the years. She figured it was something he would do. Therefore, her parents assumed it was Ward, and for that, they attempted to stay on his good side, not bringing up anything about the Sheriff, but comforting them during their time of grief.

Her parents supported her as best as they could. But every day was different from the last. And she knew she couldn't avoid Wheezie any longer than she already had.

She found herself in front of the Cameron house a week later. It took her an entire week alone, to reflect and comprehend what the fuck happened, and what to do. She walked into the house, wanting to sneak in and avoid potentially running into Rafe or Ward, or hell, even Rose. But, of course, she ran into Rose as she was coming in.

"Rafe will be happy you're here, Iris. It's good to see you again, especially after what we've been through."

Iris frowned at her, "I'm not here to see Rafe, Rose."

"Between you and me, you should probably see him." Rose smiled smugly while harrowing her eyes at the girl infront of her.

"I'm here to see Wheezie and only Wheezie."

"She isn't here."

"I don't believe that for a second." Iris said as she walked past Rose, heading for the stairs.

"Rafe! Iris is here!" Rose yelled, making direct eye contact with Iris who glared back at her.

"Bitch." Iris quickly ran up the stairs, managing to make it to Wheezie's door before Rafe came out of his room.

"Iris?" He called out.

Iris softly knocked on Wheezie's door.

"Who is it?"

"Iris."

She heard Wheezie unlock the door and let her in, quickly shutting the door behind her, locking it again.

"Where the hell have you been?" Wheezie asked, wrapping her arms around her as Iris hugged her back, "I needed you. Rafe needed you. We all need you."

"I'm sorry, Wheeze. I needed time." Iris sniffled.

"My sisters gone."

"I know."

Wheezie sniffled, "I miss her so much."

"So do I. So do I." Iris huffed.

"Can we not talk about it though? All they've been making me do is talk about Sarah, and I need to accept that she's gone and just stop crying for awhile."

"Of course. What do you wanna do?"

"Let's watch a movie." Wheezie replied as the two let go of each other, jumping at the sound of the door attempting to be opened.