"Sam! I can't go over there with Kirby still there. I refuse." Veronica crossed her arms in frustration.

"Won't he be at work?"

"I thought I told you that he was a lazy bum? He used to go around selling crap that nobody wanted, but then he quit and is now mooching off of my mom."

Lucy's face contorted. "He sounds like a terrible man."

"It's because he is." Veronica confirmed. She peered over to a medium sized gift wrapped in purple and silver paper. Next to it was a small box in light blue and green.

"The small one is from Michael and the bigger one is from all of us. David and the others have their own gift they're going to bring over tonight." Lucy seemed hesitant about that. "If it's something horrible I'll make sure Max punishes them. Here, open Michael's first."

Veronica picked up the small gift and carefully unwrapped it. She saw it was a felt blue box and curiously opened it. Inside was a silver heart necklace.

"He put a picture in it, but he wouldn't let me see who it was." Sam sulked.

"It's a locket? Oh how cool!" She took it out of the case and popped it open. Stuck to the right side was a small picture of an old friend, one whom she missed dearly.

"I thought vampires couldn't take pictures?" She asked.

"Who is it?" Sam stretched his neck to look over at it. "Aw, it's Star, Mom! I kind of miss her. This must be a picture from before she was a vampire. I wonder how she's doing right now?"

"I miss her, too." Veronica mumbled as she clipped the necklace around her neck. Next, she opened the purple gift to reveal a shoe box.

"It can't be." She gasped. But yes, it was. Black with purple stars. High tops. Chuck Taylors.

"You guys rock!" She shot up and gave Lucy a hug that almost knocked her over, then gave Sam a loud kiss on the cheek that made him flush red.

"I'm going to go get dressed so I can put them on!" She shouted when she was already halfway up the stairs.

                                                          ()()()()

"H-hi Mom." Veronica softly whispered as she stood outside her front door. Sam and Lucy had promised to wait in the driveway while Veronica went and talked with her mom. She was sporting her new gifts, but still did not have the confidence to be able to face Kirby.

"Veronica! I'm so glad you're home! We have a birthday cake, presents, candles, streamers, everything! Come into the kitchen!" Her mom responded from within the depths of the house.

Veronica took a deep breath and did as her mother asked. She walked right into a scene she dreaded. The kitchen was decorated just as her mom had said, but there was one thing she forgot to mention. Kirby sat at the head of the long table. They gave each other the same look that read, I hate you but I have to deal with you for today.

"Here honey, open your presents first." Her mother picked up a few boxes, but then set them back down. "Or maybe we should start with the cake. I know! Let's play a game!" She fluttered around the room trying to decide which would be best.

"Mom, I have Sam and Lucy waiting for me outside. I was just stopping by to show you that I was still alive. Plus, they already got me a cake."

Kirby grunted, but Veronica ignored it and kept going. "See? They also bought me these new awesome shoes and Michael got me this necklace with Star's picture in it. David and the others are coming over later, so I should really get going."

"But you haven't even been here for ten minutes." Her mother suddenly grew deflated and sat down. "Please, tell them to come back tonight. Please? Spend the day with your mom. Please?"

"I don't know." Veronica sighed and thought for a minute. She was no match for her mom begging her like this. "I guess I can."

Her mother popped up and kissed her on the forehead. "You made me so happy! I'll go out and tell Lucy for you."

"Wait Mom! No, I can-" But it was no use arguing, because her mother was already out the door. Now she faced Kirby alone as he sat there, arms crossed and glowering at her.

"You're a little whore, you know that? Doing this shit to your mom like you are. She's your mother, she gave birth to you and had to wipe your ass until you figured out not to shit in your diapers anymore." Kirby stood up and walked over to her. Veronica took a few steps back until she was against the wall.

"Maybe it would be best if you lived with Max. That way you wouldn't get in the way of me and your mom. She told me about your little hissy fit about our wedding plans. Well guess what little girl?" He stabbed his finger into her collarbone, "This world doesn't revolve around you. I don't care if you like it or not. We're getting married. If you show up or not, I honestly don't give a rat's ass. But you will either choose to live with Max or us, and if you choose Max, I never ever want to see your shitty little face again. Here me?"

"Y-yes."

"Yes what?" He shouted.

Veronica let out a whimper as he dug his finger in deeper. "Yes sir."

"Good. Now your punishment for being a bitch." He eyed the pick necklace that was wrapped around her neck. Luckily it wasn't tangled with the locket from Michael, because Kirby grabbed it and ripped it off. She winced as she felt the burning pain of the leather strap snapping against her skin. She could already picture the red mark and bruise that would soon be forming.

"No! Give that back!" She screamed, struggling to seize it out of his hands.

"Shut up!" He thundered just as Veronica's mom walked back in.

"What's the matter?" She rushed into the kitchen, but Kirby had already hidden the necklace and sat back down in his original position like nothing happened.

Veronica was in tears as she screamed at him. "That was a gift from the guitarist! He's my favorite musician and he gave it to me! He gave it to me! Give it back now!"

"Veronica?" Her mother looked to be in disbelief. "What's going on?"

"I hate you both! I hope you die!" She screamed in a shrill, hysterical voice. She ran out of the front door and waved down Lucy just as she was pulling out of the driveway.

Her mother was frozen in place with tears beginning to roll down her face.

"Relax babe." Kirby slowly stood up and rubbed her shoulders. "Now you can let her go live with Max and not have to worry about her anymore."

She slapped his hands away. "What. Did. You. Do?" She growled through gritted teeth.

☢ ♥‿♥ 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒇𝓸𝓻 𝓻𝒆𝓪𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝒇𝓸𝓻𝓰𝒆𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓿𝓸𝓽𝒆 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝒇𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 𝓲𝒇 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒆𝓷𝓳𝓸𝔂𝒆𝓭 𝓲𝓽 ♥‿♥ ☢