Chapter 23

I just want to make a very important announcement: Hot Topic is selling The Lost Boys merch. I about died when I saw their display. So, I bought a new shirt yesterday :)

 ● Ɲσω Ɓαcк тσ тнє Sтσяу ●

In the morning there was a knock on Veronica's door and Max walked in after checking to make sure the blinds were closed. "Good morning Veronica."

"Good morning," she mumbled back, sleep still fogging her brain.

Max sat down on her bed and patted her leg. "What to talk about what happened last night? You looked pretty flustered and upset. Was it something about Kirby?"

Veronica's eyes grew big as she remembered her first kiss. "Oh no, it wasn't him. I haven't seen him in forever."

"Then where were you last night?"

"I was hanging out with a friend." She blushed and tried to hide her face with her blanket.

It wasn't hard for Max to see her embarrassment. "Did this friend happen to be a guy?"

"...I guess. I know why you're really here." Veronica quickly tried to change the subject.

"And why am I really here?"

"Michael told you about what I know."

Max smiled a kind smile. "Yes, he told me that Sam ended up informing you about us. So now you know our secret. No big deal, David was debating about telling you anyway. I just don't want you to think badly about us. You're still welcomed in our home and we would never, ever hurt you or your family."

"Kirby's not family." Veronica muttered.

"That is true." Max paused then lowered his voice. "What did he do to you? You're such a precious little girl, you shouldn't be filled with so much hate."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Alright, but if you ever feel the need to tell me, I'll always be willing to listen." He gave her another kind smile, this one making her feel all warm and safe.

"Thanks Max," she returned his smile.

"I have a surprise for you!" Max suddenly stood up and clapped his hands together. "Your mom is downstairs!"

                                                    ()()()()

"Hi," Veronica quietly said. Everyone had left them alone in the living room. This was the first time they had seen each other face to face since the night David came and got her.

"Sweetheart, why are you doing this to me?" Her mom tried to embrace her, but Veronica took a step back.

"Why are you letting Kirby move in with us?"

"Because I'm in love with him. You'll understand when you're older."

"I'll never understand. He's mean and gross."

Her mom sighed, knowing this conversation was heading in the wrong direction. "Let's save that topic for later, okay? How are you? Are you doing alright here?"

"I'm fine."

"Do you need me to bring you more clothes? You know I miss you honey. The Fourth of July was terrible without you."

"No, Lucy's been doing my laundry for me. And I'm sure you and Kirby were just fine for the Fourth."

Her mother ignored the comment and continued, "I went to the park to see you that night, but I saw David and Marko there with you and I felt like I couldn't walk up to you."

"Why? Because Kirby wouldn't have been happy?"

"He's not exactly a fan of David." She sat down on the couch and patted the cushion next to her, signaling for Veronica to sit down. Veronica refused and crossed her arms.

Her mom frowned, but continued to carry on their conversation. "Sweetie...so how have you been? Anything new happen?"

"Yeah, I had my first kiss." Veronica spat out.

Her mother paused for a second. "What? Who? Oh my gosh..."

"Yeah, you missed it. You can thank Kirby for that."

"Who was it? Oh I don't know if I should be excited about this or be worried that you're growing up too fast. It wasn't Sam was it? I don't know if I feel comfortable having you stay here now."

Veronica rolled her eyes. "No, it wasn't Sam."

"Tell me! Tell me! Who was the lucky boy to have my daughter's first kiss?" She bounced up and down and clapped her hands in excitement.

Veronica had to bite back a giggle at the silliness. For a second she thought her old Mom was returning and things would turn back to normal. "Calm down Mom, you don't know him."

"I don't care! Tell me all about him. Are you in love?"

Veronica began to warm up to her mom again and finally sat down on the couch. "His name is Alan and no I'm not in love." She scrunched up her face at the thought. "He's a nice guy, but he doesn't like vampires."

"He doesn't? Oh dear, he won't last long."

"He's not ugly and his brother is a hunk, but he's a complete freak. Alan has dark hair and chocolate brown eyes and he sometimes gets this look on his face that is very attractive. It's like he gets lost in his thoughts. He's taller than me and two years older. We get along really well and he's really cute, though not as cute as David." Veronica slammed both hands over her mouth. She kind of forgot she was speaking out loud while she was picturing and describing Alan.

Her mom raised an eyebrow. "Oh, so you think David's a stud muffin, huh?"

"Mom! Don't be weird!"

She laughed at her daughter, happy they seemed to be mending their relationship. "It's okay, he is pretty attractive. Though his friend Marko is a dream come true."

"Mother!" Veronica said in shock and horror. They stared at each other in silence, then broke out into uncontrollable laughter.

Once their fit was over, Veronica sighed and changed the subject to address the biggest problem. "What about Kirby?"

"So not as hot as Marko."

"Seriously Mom, can you kick him out or what? I miss you."

"I love you Veronica. I love you so much and I miss you more than you can fathom. But...Kirby is going to be around for a while. He's...he's going to be your future step-father."

Veronica's voice caught in her throat and all laughter and joy from earlier vanished. Her breathing grew rapid and unsteady as she tried to process what her mom meant. "What?"

"This is why I came over. I had to tell you in person why he's moved in. We're getting married, honey. He loves both of us very much and he want you to accept him-"

Veronica shot up out of her seat and cut her off with a scream. "I'll never accept him! Never, never never!" She took off running out of the front door and didn't look back.

☢ ♥‿♥ 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒇𝓸𝓻 𝓻𝒆𝓪𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝒇𝓸𝓻𝓰𝒆𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓿𝓸𝓽𝒆 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝒇𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 𝓲𝒇 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒆𝓷𝓳𝓸𝔂𝒆𝓭 𝓲𝓽 ♥‿♥ ☢