Chapter 17

By morning, Veronica was able to get the truth out of Sam. David, Paul, Dwyane, Marko, and Max were vampires. Laddie was half-vampire half-human and no one knew how that happened. What surprised her the most was Michael and Star both were vampires, too. Lucy was on her way to becoming one, and so was Sam. Veronica didn't mention much on that topic. Sam didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it anyway. All night she couldn't shut off her brain to get to sleep and now she felt like a zombie as she sat down to a bowl of cereal Lucy poured. As of now, no one but Sam knew that she knew.

"Thank," Veronica yawned as Sam threw her a spoon. Max was already upstairs asleep and Lucy went to join him. None of them knew if Michael was back, and none of them were very willing to go down to the basement and check.

"I don't hear him snoring, so I don't think he's home." Sam said with a mouthful of Wheaties.

"Why don't you go down there and look?" Veronica asked.

"You've never seen Michael cry, he looks pretty pathetic and gives off vibes of awkwardness and depression. I'd like to avoid that all together."

"All you have to do is just sneak down there and take a peek."

"Alright Miss Adventure, why don't you go and do that then?"

Veronica paused before answering, "Maybe I will." She scooted her chair back from the table and headed for the basement door. Her hand started to tremble on the knob remembering how angry Michael had been last night.

"He's not going to throw anything at me or try to eat me, will he?" She asked Sam.

Sam stared at her. "Has he ever tried to eat you before?"

"Well, I mean, he's just had his heart broken so he might not care anymore...never mind." She opened the door and started quietly down the steps. Once she reached the bottom she looked to her left and could make out a large ball in the middle of a queen size bed in the dim lighting.

"H-hi Michael," Veronica stuttered out. "A-are you okay?"

There was silence for a few seconds before Michael moaned, "Go away."

"Oh, okay." Veronica ran back up the stairs and closed the door. "Yeah, he's home."

They finished their breakfast and dressed for the day, leaving Michael alone to mourn in peace.

"What are you doing for the Fourth of July?" Sam asked as they met up on the living room couch.

"Probably living in my room. I know I'm going to be grounded for life once my mom finds me." Veronica's stomach suddenly felt queasy as she thought about how angry her mom and Kirby must be right now. There was no way they haven't checked her room yet to find a pillow stuffed under her blankets.

"Eh, Kirby just might go after David and end up dead. There's always hope." Sam flipped on the TV and started channel surfing when the phone rang. They both looked at each other and froze.

"You don't think that's my mom, do you?" She whispered.

"Naw, it couldn't be...when do you usually wake up at home?"

"Two hours ago."

"I'll get it," Sam offered. He ran to the phone in the kitchen and answered with a sweet sounding greeting.

Veronica's mom's voice quickly spewed out words into Sam's ear. "Sam! Where's your mother? Nevermind, is Veronica there? She's not here. I think she ran away? Put your mother on the phone! Or Max! Or David! Is David over there? Did she go off with him?"

"Uh...David did it." Sam managed to interrupt the slew of questions.

Veronica slapped her hand to her forehead to signal her annoyance with him. She came up next to him to listen in on the rest of her mother's wailings.

"So is she there? Tell her I'm sorry and that I tried to let Kirby let her go. I didn't mean to be a terrible mother. Please, tell me she's there! I'm panicking right now and have Kirby out looking for her. Well, he will start looking for her soon. He has to eat breakfast and watch the morning news first. Is she there?"

"Give me the phone," Veronica whispered. Sam passed off the phone, looking as confused as ever. "Hey mom."

"Sweetie! Veronica! Oh dear, where are you? How long have you been gone? Where did you sleep last night? How did you get over there?"

"Mom, calm down. I'm obviously at Sam's house. I've been here all night." She quickly glared at Sam before continuing. "David didn't have anything to do with this. I walked over here all by myself."

"At night?!"

"Yes mother, I walked here last night. Nothing happened to me, but I don't know when I'm coming home."

"Now." Her mom answered for her.

Veronica took a deep breath before responding. "No. I can't. Not with Kirby there."

"I think you need to come home before tonight, we can discuss this more then."

"I told you I can't."

"Veronica, that wasn't a choice. Come home before dinner and we will talk about this over pizza, okay?"

"Will Kirby be there?"

"Just come home."

"Mom?" Veronica's voice cracked as she was nearing close to tears. Her mom never responded to her question.

"Mom!" Veronica demanded.

"He's moving in."

Veronica's mouth hung open and tears flew down her face. She tried to think of something to say, but couldn't so she slammed the phone down instead. She attempted to run to the bathroom again, but Sam was too quick and pinned her against the wall.

"What? What happened? Are you staying here or going home?"

"She's letting that pervert live with us!"

☢ ♥‿♥ 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒇𝓸𝓻 𝓻𝒆𝓪𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝒇𝓸𝓻𝓰𝒆𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓿𝓸𝓽𝒆 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝒇𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 𝓲𝒇 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒆𝓷𝓳𝓸𝔂𝒆𝓭 𝓲𝓽 ♥‿♥ ☢