Chapter 15

David, Michael, Sam, and Veronica were sitting in the living room while Lucy and Max were working at the video store. David was sneering at the TV screen, Michael was sullenly watching it, and Sam was harassing Veronica about her Count Dracula plushie. Sam had tried to get Veronica to talk about what she wanted to ask him over the phone, but she refused due to David being right next to them. She couldn't handle the thought of having him overhear and make fun of her if it was a stupid idea.

A commercial for Aqua Net Mousse came on when the front door opened. They all turned to look except David.

"Star!" Michael shot up out of his seat and looked at her, almost disbelieving what he was seeing. "Where have you been?"

"Oh Michael, I'm so sorry!" She cried as she ran into the house and flung herself onto Michael. Both Sam and Veronica went quiet and watched the scene with big eyes.

"Star, where...oh my god, I thought you left me!" He wrapped his hand into her hair and hugged her so tightly, Veronica wondered if she could even breathe.

"I didn't leave you Michael, I would never, ever leave you."

David stood up and started clapping in a loud, slow rhythmic manner. He walked a few steps toward the happy couple with a Cheshire Cat grin on his face.

"Nice acting Star. Maybe you should become an actress." He said.

The two released each other, but Star kept her arm around Michael as she walked behind him and looked at David from around his shoulder.

"What are you talking about?" Michael asked.

David's grin disappeared. "Veronica, Sam, go upstairs. Better yet, go to your little buddy's house. What's his name...Tommy. Yeah, I think that's it."

Now Michael demanded an answer from David, ignoring that Sam and Veronica were still watching with even larger eyes than before. "David, I'm talking to you."

David sighed with a half-grin. "Why don't you ask where Star's been at for the last few days?"

"I was locked up in your cave!" Star snarled from behind her boyfriend.

"What?" Michael glared at David, waiting for a response.

David seemed to be the only one to notice the two children. "Sam and Veronica, go. Upstairs. Now." He said through gritted teeth.

The two quickly ran up the stairs, realizing how serious this might get. David waited for them to be out of eye-sight, but he guessed that they were listening from the shadows. David reckoned that Veronica was going to find out sooner or later, anyway.

"Star isn't as trustworthy as you think. The girl just can't keep her legs together." David finally explained.

"Watch it, David." Michael growled.

David shrugged. "It's the truth. She couldn't decide who she loved, so she chose us both.

"No I didn't Michael! He seduced me!"

David's eyebrows shot up. "I seduced you? Honey look at me, I'm not exactly a god on earth." He motioned to his platinum mullet, unshaven face, and dusty leather jacket.

"Star? Michael gently pulled her in front of himself so he could look her in the face. "What do you mean he seduced you? Did you...you didn't sleep with him, did you?"

"More than once." David interrupted.

"Stop it, David! Let me talk to Michael alone. Can you please go home?" She pleaded.