Episode 3 : The Story Of Melvin Hale : The Seatbelt Killer

DISCLAIMER : If you're under the age of 13, or if you're sensetive to scary stuff, guns, violence, and murder, I suggest you don't read this for your own safety. Also, credit goes to the YouTuber Horror Stories, FindAGraveMemorial, and KXAN for the information. Also, I don't have a picture of Melvin Edison Hale at the beginning of this chapter because again, Wattpad only allows JPGS, PNGS, GIFS, or Videos at the beginning of Chapters for no absolute reason. Lol. Here's a link to a more clear picture of him.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-troopers-shooter-previously-threatened-to-kill-police/

Anyways, now enjoy.

Melvin Edison Hale was a man who no one would have ever wanted to see on the road or anywhere else. Born on September 15th 1927, he was a very troublesome man his whole life since had a huge hatred for seat belts during his entire life and refused to wear them whenever he was in a car. However, unlike everyone else who disagreed with seatbelts, Melvin Edison Hale would take his dislike to the extreme during his later years. However, his new levels of dislike for seat belts would result in a terrible tragedy, and his own downfall.

On this day, 22 years ago, at 10:30 AM on August 3rd 2000, Hale was driving in his car on the west frontage road of I-35 south of Kyle, Texas, without wearing a seatbelt when he was pulled over on the side of the road by a 28 year old Trooper who was also a six year veteran of The Texas Department Of Public Safety named Randall Wade Vetter. What Vetter or anyone else could've predicted however, was that an unexpected nightmare was about to unfold...

As Vetter pulled over Hale, before Vetter even stepped out of his car, Hale immediately grabbed his rifle and jumped out of his car and quickly approached the officer. Shocked and scared, Vetter commanded Hale to put his rifle down, but Hale ignored Vetter's commands and shot him in the head as Vetter fired back.

Vetter was severely wounded and as he lay in his car, Hale reported to his police station pretending to be a police officer and attempted to flee the scene, but was quickly caught. The entire shooting was captured on Vetter's dash cam.

Unfortunately, Officer Vetter died four days later at the hospital on August 7th. The 28 year old police officer left behind his wife, Cyndia and his son, Robert.

It turned out that Hale had a long history of using violent threats against the police, threatening to shoot anyone who would give him a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt on the road.

Hale was quickly arrested and convicted of the murder of Officer Vetter and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He died in prison on October 25th 2008 while serving his sentence at the age of 81.

To this day, 22 years later, the story of Melvin Edison Hale remains as one of the scariest and most unbelievable crime stories of all time. He was willing to murder anyone just because he didn't like seatbelts. It just goes to show how incredibly messed up people can be over the simplest of things...

The end...