Darlene |5|

I groan stupidly, frustration racking through my veins the more I think of the sweet girl who stepped through my office doors

Her baby face was obvious, and her tendency toward listening to everything I had to say made my blood burn for her. Her curly brown hair makes me wanna grip it and tell her how pretty she is.

I've only just met this girl and somehow I feel like i've known her forever and will know her forever.

I wanna find out more about her, Darlene Arrington, the lovely name repeats itself in my mind, begging me to make her mine.

I snap out of whatever trance she put me in when a phone rings on my desk. Fucking hell.

I roll my chair closer and pick up the phone, "Duke Ravens, what is it?"

"Well that's certainly no way to speak to your dear old Dad now is it, Duke?"

My fathers chilling voice fills my ears, the bliss of the young girl named Darlene left the atmosphere. Him saying my name makes me regret being named Duke.

I clench my fist around the phone, "You couldn't have called me on my personal cell?"

"No, don't question me, boy." He commands, acting as if i'm not a full grown adult way out of his 20s.

My jaw clenched in rage, after all he's put me through he still has the balls to put out demands.

"I'll question you whenever I damn please, now what the hell do you want?" I spit out, inner rage lacing my tongue.

A couple seconds of silence on the other side of the phone and hard breathing sounding from it makes me even angrier.

"That new secretary of yours better not be some plain party girl from last time, and she better not be a slacker either. Your lucky that client has been a long time friend of mine, or else your ass would've been bare in the snow of winter."

I roll my eyes, one missed meeting wouldn't change the world, even if it did piss me off that my ex secretary had to be so reckless.

"Trust me, she's neither of those things." I state, trying not to reveal too much of the young girl, my father doesn't need to know a damn thing about her, only I do.

He chuckles, "Duke, if something like what happened before, happens again, i'll make sure you and your mother repeat hell and back for as long as you can remember, got that? No more income, no more cash flow, no more luxury lifestyle." He threatens, dramatically as always.

Little does he know I have my own private money, and personal bank account, I'm 31 and the man still feels as if he has control over me.

Let him feel that way, he's a coward and a pathetic excuse of a father, he can live whatever lie he wants, as long as i'm not being tormented any longer.

"It won't happen again, Dad." I say, determined to get him off the phone so I can go back to daydreaming about the starry girl.

"That's what I like to hear, bye now." He says, hanging up moments later.

I sigh, placing the phone back onto the receiver.

Darlene, the sweet girls names chants in my head after the headache passes, a floaty feeling fills my head picturing her at my disposal, ready to do whatever I need her for, rushing around in that skirt she was wearing.

I shake my head, a little girl like her would think these thoughts obscene, but oh I could think so much worse.

I blow a puff of air out, glancing at the stack of papers and folders sitting in my desk, would she mind coming in late? Before her work day even starts? No, i'm selfish, selfish to see her as soon as possible but not selfish enough to let her loose sleep.

I don't think I could live with myself if that pretty girl had bags under her doe eyes because of me.

Glancing over to an empty whiskey glass, I bounce up and off my desk chair, needing a drink.

The time catches my eye, 12:34am.

Sighing, I grab the glass quart whiskey bottle and pop the lid into my other hands fingers, expertly and quickly pouring some into the glass.

Setting it back on the tray, I grip the now whiskey filled glass and sit back on my desk chair, god, is this what my life has come to? Sitting in my office drinking and thinking about nothing?

I let my hair fall slightly in my face and my posture fail, Ms. Arrington isn't nothing, that's for sure.

A spike of excitement courses through me at the image of her working in this room with me, a comforting feeling fills my body.

I sigh, finally feeling the exhaustion of the day hit me, "Fuck," I groan.

The last word that repeats in my head before I drift off is her name, Darlene.

— AUTHORS NOTE; Hi my dears, I hope you liked this chapter and i'd love to hear your guys' thoughts about Darlene and Duke! I hope your night or day is going awesome! <3 Love you!

(UNEDITED CHAPTER) |August 26th, 2022|