Another loud crack echoed the room as my elbow was joined back together and I let a whimper of pain escape my lips, which went unnoticed by the scientists. It didn’t take long for them to reach my shoulder and they popped those bones back into place before adjusting my bicep back to where it was supposed to be.

“Good thing her werewolf side still repairs things,” one scientist muttered before commanding I try to move my fingers. Gritting my teeth, I did so and he appeared satisfied with it. “She can go back now.”

The guards came back and unstrapped me from the chair before dragging me out. Instinctively, I cradled my right arm close to my body and shielded it from other while every heartbeat sent my nerves throbbing through it.

It didn’t take long to reach my cell and the guards threw the whimpering, lip biting, me into it with enough force to knock me against the opposing wall. “We’ll be back tomorrow...wimp,” one of them snickered and slammed the cell door shut before locking it. I heard them chuckling about my weakness as they sauntered away.

‘I am NOT weak!’ I mentally spat in response before huddling into the corner of my cell, far away from anyone else.

As my arm continued to ache while repairing itself, I fell into silence. There were still grunts, groans, and screams around me, but I did not speak. I stayed alone in my misery.

After several minutes, there was moan from Scruffy’s cell. It brought me out of my trance of pain as my ears (figuratively) perked up at the sound. My curiosity compelled me to speak. “What’s wrong?” I asked quietly.

There was no response. That only made my curiosity grow as I edged forward to the front of my box and gazed at Scruffy. He was huddled along the back of his cell with his arms pressed against his abdomen-presumably where the pain was.

“Scruffy?” I asked again with concerned laced in my voice. His eyes met mine. They were red and watering from the pain that he was suffering from.

“I told you not to care,” he breathed. “I’m not going to last much longer.”

“Don’t say that,” I murmured.

“You know it’s true. Don’t lie to make me feel better,” he whispered. “It doesn’t matter now. I have nothing to live for anymore.”

“Don’t say that!” I repeated.

“That’s why you shouldn’t care. That’s why you should never care about anyone or anything-especially in here.”

“Caring is one of the things that makes us somewhat human!”

“But we’re not human! Why even try to pretend? Just-never mind. I don’t want to spend my last breaths arguing. God knows I’ve done plenty of that in my lifetime,” he let out a hard laugh before grimacing against the pain of it. “Ack, it doesn’t matter anymore. Nothing does. This whole place is just full of death. It only makes sense that I die too.”

“Don’t die,” I started pleading. “I have people on the outside. They love me. They’ll come looking for me and they’re sure to find me! When they do, we’ll take this hell down together. Everyone will be saved. Just hold on a bit longer.”

“That’s what everyone thinks. You haven’t been here long. Soon you’ll find out that no one is coming. No one ever does. If they even try to come, they just get killed or captured to become prisoners themselves.”

“No! They’re seriously coming!” I insisted.

“Just stop now. They’re not coming.”

“But they are!” I exclaimed as the first tears rolled down my cheeks. “They’re going to save us.”

“There’s no point anymore in false hopes. I’m too late to save anyhow,” he whispered and slowly laid on the floor.

“No! You can’t die! I need to save you!” I cried.

“There’s nothing left to save,” he breathed.

“Yes there is! You are a wonderful person that has helped me throughout my entire stay here. Besides, you’re a vampire, you can’t die! Your heart doesn’t beat as it is anyway.”

“That may be true, but my body can still be destroyed. My mind can still be taken. That’s what they’ve done. They took away my body, the last thing holding me to this world.”

“It’s not possible to do that!”

“I’m the dying proof,” he weakly looked at me. “If you survive this by some miracle, remember me. That’s the only thing I want right now. To be remembered...”

“You can’t die...” I continued to cry.

“You have really pretty eyes,” he commented before his own green eyes closed for the last time.

“NO! JUST-NO!” I screamed and pounded against bars. “IT CAN’T BE!”

But he didn’t move again. He was officially gone.

After an hour passed of my non-stop screaming over his dead body lying in his cell, making my voice go hoarse, I subsided to sitting against the cold wall and sobbing my heart out.

Why him? What did he ever to do the world to deserve this? What had any of us done?

Then I realized something. I never knew his name. There was the one time I asked, but was denied. Still, it hit me hard. How could I happen to talk to and managed to develop caring feelings for someone like that when I didn’t know anything, including his name? He was just Scruffy to me. My friend Scruffy.

The tears that blurred my vision simply would not stop flowing down my cheeks, especially when the two guards came back and confirmed he was dead. They tossed his rigid body on a cart and hauled it away.

My tears never ceased throughout the hours that followed, nor did they stop as I laid to eventually pass out from physical and emotional exhaustion.

************************

There you go my...two dedicated readers! But seriously, I HAVE THE JUCIEST MOST EPIC PARTS of the ENTIRE book in these next chapters! I just need THREE comments to get me through to them! THREE! So pwease, help me out here :3

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

or you know...AT LEAST READ!

Thank you~