03 » ❝Vanilla Ice Cream❞

Start from the beginning

         Scarlett bites her cheek, trying to keep from getting too riled up - because she knows she'd only be giving these girls exactly what they want. "Did Mackenna tell you to say that, or are you saying that because you believe it's true?" she asks, daring to take a step closer. 

         Lauren doesn't look intimated one bit. "We believe that you need to learn your place," she begins, her grip threatening to tear the sheet music in two. "And singing songs that were written for us is not going to change the fact that you're just-"

         "Actually," a voice from behind the counter startles all three girls, who whirl around to find Mrs Levine, clipboard in hand. "Vanilla Ice Cream was written by Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock for Barbara Cook - not for you," Mrs Levine informs them, silencing the girls. "However, Miss Saigon debuted in the late 80s and is therefore far from a Golden Age musical," she continues, taking the music from Lauren's hands and giving it back to Scarlett. "But, given Miss Bright's performance in the cafeteria yesterday, I think she's more than qualified to sing both pieces," she finishes, and Scarlett can't help but stare up at her teacher in awe as the girls look utterly defeated - not to mention caught

      By the end of class, Lauren and Dani are sent to the principal's office, and Scarlett walks heavily to the classroom doors. "Miss Bright, could I see you for a moment?" Mrs Levine calls from her desk, and Scarlett stops in her tracks as the rest of her classmates file out of the room. "You'll be seeing a private voice teacher outside of school to work on this piece, I trust?" Mrs Levine asks, picking up the sheet music from She Loves Me and handing it back to Scarlett, who gives her a confused look in response.

        "I - actually, I wasn't planning to sing it at all anymore," Scarlett admits quietly, holding the music gingerly in her fingertips.

         "And why not?" Mrs Levine looks up at her quizzically. "It's-" 

         "Too ambitious," Scarlett dismisses the idea. "I'm not right for the part and I'm not ready to sing something so challenging. Not yet," she explains, trying her best not to sound as defeated as she feels. 

         Mrs Levine looks unconvinced. "Are you saying that because those girls told you so, or because you believe it's true?" she asks, relaying Scarlett's previous words almost perfectly.

         She looks at her teacher, stunned. "How much did you hear?" 

         "Enough to understand why you tried to put it back without my noticing," Mrs Levine replies with a knowing look. "Nevertheless, I'm going to request that you sing it anyway - if not to prove to those girls that discrimination has no place in this school, then to prove it to yourself," she explains with a tone that Scarlett can't help but feel empowered by. "And while you're at it, get yourself a private tutor off campus as well - that B5 isn't going to sing itself without some extra training."

         Scarlett sighs, "I wish I could, Mrs Levine, but I can barely afford the ARTS tuition here as it is, let alone private lessons-"

         "Nonsense," Mrs Levine dismisses her. "I'll be your tutor, then," she decides, handing Scarlett a card with what appears to be her phone number on it. "Believe me, Miss Bright, you're not the first talented student to come through here with financial troubles. It will just be between the two of us," she assures Scarlett, who smiles gratefully. "Call me and we'll set up a few lessons - prepare Vanilla Ice Cream and two other pieces, preferably contemp, this time. Potential audition songs for the school musical, if you'd like." 

         Scarlett sputters, "H-how did you know I was-"

         Mrs Levine peers over her glasses, smiling for the first time since Scarlett's known her. "If you weren't, I'd have signed you up myself, after the performance I witnessed yesterday," she says before looking Scarlett in the eyes. "Those girls don't know it yet, but you have talent, my dear," she assures her. "Don't let it go to waste."