Chapter Twenty Four: Barefoot

Start from the beginning

The longer he stared at her the more he felt his conviction ebb away. Her posture was straight, she took every step with purpose, and her stern gaze was cold and somewhat calculative. Unlike before when she’d glide around, managing to look untamed and free even when she was bound and shackled.

(Y/N) was an explosion of color and noise. Scylla looked like she was built for war. Two polar opposites.

He sighed, crestfallen. He missed her so much he projected her onto a complete stranger. 

“You’re right.” Zuko muttered, gaze falling to his hand on the ledge of the window, “It’s not her.”

“Never knew you were such a quitter.” Azula smirked, “Oh wait, I already did.”

Zuko glowered at his sister and casted a final deflated look at Scylla.

She paused by the fountain. The top was a depiction of what looked like a hurdling comet with jets of water streaming around it, filling the bottom tiers.

She took a step to the edge of the pathway and tilted her head up slightly as a gust of wind blew by, ruffling the edges of her attire and brushing wisps of her hair against her closed eyes.

Then she knelt down and undid the clasps on her heavy combat boots. Iroh smiled from behind her and Zuko sucked in air.

“I take it back,” He breathed, watching her step out of her boots.

Azula furrowed her perfectly arched brows. “Why’s that?”

Zuko smiled as Scylla stepped onto the grass bare footed. “Because of that.”

“So she stepped onto grass bare footed,” Azula shrugged, heading back to her table. “If that’s your only argument then you’ve wasted my time.”

Zuko however was grinning from ear to ear, seeming pleased with himself.

“I mean it’s a start.”

Azula checked that the ink was finally dry and rolled it up.

“Zuzu you’re being too paranoid.”

“How exactly am I being paranoid I thought you were her friend too.” Zuko fired.

“I am. You know (Y/N) wouldn’t survive a minute of being a civil etiquette pet talking politics with war ministers all night at a party celebrating the defeat of the last water bender of the South Pole,” her dark eyes softened for a moment, “and that’s kind of why I enjoyed her company, but the point is Scylla isn’t her.”

Zuko’s jaw tightened. “No. It’s her. She loves the feeling of grass on her bare foot. I mean at least I’m trying here, you try explain how she disappeared that night and suddenly appeared out of nowhere with a completely different personality.”

Azula smirked, her eyes glimmering as she spun back to her brother as if she was waiting this whole time for that opportunity.

“It’s quite simple. You know how free willed and unbreakable she was. So father did what grandfather simply could not because he was a coward with sympathy for the old ways and father is not.”

“Don’t talk about our grandfather that way.” Zuko’s temper flared.

She ignored him and continued, “-He sent her away and they tamed her. Of course it wouldn’t have been easy; she’s not a Child of Fire for nothing.”

Zuko paled, he felt sick in his stomach but Azula continued as if enjoying seeing the tormented look in his eyes.

“The tougher the methods were the harder it would’ve been for her to keep her sanity. Going against every fiber of her being, her very nature; that’s what broke her-”

Zuko shook his head, his breathing ragged. “That’s not true, there has to be another explanation.”

Azula’s smirk widened, “So my guess is she created an alter ego, someone to take the burden of it all, to withstand the pain, to be able to do whatever it was they commanded; the perfect Dragoness,” She broke off into a maniacal cackle, her dark eyes alit with a dangerous glimmer, “-honestly it’s the perfect technique.”

“You’re a monster.” Zuko growled and stormed out, brown eyes glassy.

Azula’s hellish cackle followed him down the hallway and imprinted its way into the backdrop of his thoughts. She could stuff that stupid explanation. He refused to believe it; it couldn’t be true, it wasn’t true. She was just rotten, everything she did and said was evil; he’d been tricked by her before, countless times.

He was now convinced his sister was the devils spawn.

He gritted his teeth. There had to be another explanation why (Y/N) was pretending to be Scylla. There had to be. Because Zuko knew that if it were anything like what Azula had said he’d never forgive himself. If anything close to what Azula’s whacky explanation happened he wouldn’t be able to face her at all knowing he failed; he failed to protect her when he promised he would.

His fingers curled to fists and his soft gaze hardened. There had to be another explanation; he’d get to the bottom of it even if it meant stalking her all day and night until she made a slip up.