29 , soft shushes

𖧣
______

soft shushes
______

his arms engulfed me in a tight hug that warmly enveloped my body. we held each other for longer than a moment as his hand cupped the back of my head and my arms eagerly wrapped around his neck. i felt a wetness on my cheek that made me let out a quiet sob; one that sounded more like a laugh of utter disbelief than it did a cry.

tears of happiness poured from my eyes and onto the vest that covered his shoulder with a few stray tears soaking into his white shirt that were now stuck to his skin like glue. i felt almost euphoric in the arms that held me so passionately-until i didn't anymore.

tears of happiness turned into sadness just as fast as the smile had faded from my flushed face. i could feel my skin burning from the salty tears that made their way down to my chin along with the few other stray droplets that fell into the creases of my dry lips. somehow the burning sensation made me even angrier as i clenched a fistful of clothes that sat on his shoulder yet it triggered me to go into such an emotional spiral that i couldn't see a way out of in that moment.

"you left me." were the only words that could escape my mouth in a soft mutter and the longer he embraced me, the more emotional i became. now sobs of sorrow were the only thing that could be heard in the distilled hallway of the barracks where the other soldiers slept.

keeping that in mind and still managing not to break the embrace, his hand that held my lower back reached for the knob of the door to carry my now limp body inside before shutting it behind us. his arms tightened their grip to keep me from slipping out of the hug he knew he couldn't break-not after the pathetic emotional break i was putting on right in front of him.

a number of soft shushes and words of comfort tried calming me down enough to stop the hyperventilated breaths that could be heard through each cry. after a while of delicate hair stroking as he rocked me back and forth to the melody of shushes he was whispering into my ear, his back slid down the wooden door that separated us from the hallway with my face still buried in the crook of his neck, flustered and crying.

everything that i had put on my shoulders and held in the back of my mind had come to the forefront before i could catch myself from slipping-seeing him just made me fall over the edge.