o9 , after dark

𖤐
______

after dark
______

"go ahead." a breathy laugh left his lips after i looked back at him over my shoulder. it was as if to ask him if it was alright to run through the seemingly never-ending patch of swaying grass that went up to my ankles. i would never forget the chilled air that hit my skin and sent a vibration throughout my entire body, leaving countless tiny bumps on my arms and legs that night.

he decided to take me out one night on a whim. the only time he ever brought me with him anywhere besides to the outside stalls selling produce that were only half as good as the ones he would bring home himself. it wasn't worth dealing with the rude people that sold vegetables that were just about as crappy as their attitudes were, but we managed.

he pointed out the men that guarded the entrance to "the outside," as he put it, and told me to stay by his side at all times. i squeezed his hand in response and he did the same before leading me through the heinous-smelling sewers that made me gag from the smell let alone the sight of rats and roaches eating whatever garbage they could find.

after walking for a while, a ladder was the only exit we came across throughout the whole underground sewage system. he crouched down so our eyes were level and told me to get on his back-so i listened. shoes against metal were the only sounds echoing off the rusted sewer walls until he stopped to push open the heavy cover that was the only thing blocking us from the outside now.

the sweater he wrapped around my body fell to the floor just as my knees did while my hands explored the weird yet satisfying sensation of the prickly ground that scratched at my skin. i looked in awe at the plant that surrounded me whole only to come across a few small flowers that stood no taller than my hand.

flower; a word that i recently learned about from a book he would read aloud to me whenever he had the spare time. it came in an array of colors and a variation of patterned petals with countless different names. one could only imagine the possibilities of such a plant with a beautiful name that grouped them together.

i just wanted to pick the prettiest one for him.