Chapter 16- Names

Dabi's brain was in a fog while Hawks animatedly explained the secrets he's been keeping from you. You were now in fresh pajamas and sitting between Hawks and Dabi, the latter with his arm draped around the back of the couch where you were sitting. The difference in how you felt from earlier today to now was such a complete 180 that you were surprised you didn't have whiplash. Dabi felt the same way. Today was supposed to be another day of waiting and drinking, but here he was...with you.

In retrospect, he shouldn't have been surprised you were pregnant. It wasn't like he was trying to be all that safe when you two had sex, but in the beginning, he didn't care. He was just in it for pleasure. It wasn't until he couldn't stop himself from coming back to you, back home, every night that he realized that maybe he cared more for you than he let on.

It's just...the idea of him of all fucking people...how the fuck was a guy as fucked up as him supposed to care for a kid? Dabi barely had a childhood himself and you were a pro-hero. Everything about this was wrong and that ate away at him inside. He liked the feeling of being around you...but this was a whole new level of fucked up he just wasn't ready for.

This time away from you put everything in perspective...and he didn't want to go through that again. He didn't care who he had to hunt down or what he had to do to keep you safe, he was selfish enough to want to be with you regardless of the hardship that came with it. Call him a selfish asshole, whatever, but it was the first time in a very very long time that he felt something inside of him this strong. He didn't view this attachment as a weakness and knowing you cared for him enough to go through growing his baby alone made him realize that for the first time in his life, love wasn't a one-sided affair.

Dabi was admiring you as you lectured Hawks on keeping secrets, the pro-hero sheepishly holding up his hands in surrender as if you were going to kill him. He wondered how you reacted when you thought he was dead...he wondered how you reacted when you found out you were pregnant. There were so many things he wanted to ask you and now he was curious how much Keigo didn't tell him either.

"You know," Dabi interjected the two of you, drawing your attention. "I'm wondering how long you knew she was pregnant." Keigo swallowed the lump in his throat, seeing you and Dabi looking at him with raised eyebrows.

"Okay! Look I had a lot going on and I promise you I kept tight-lipped for a good reason," Hawks put a pointer finger up matter-of-factly. "(Y/n) couldn't know you were still alive because of that douchebag following her every move and the fact he and whoever he works for thought you were dead. I knew if I told her about you that she would try to find you and that would raise more suspicion with whatever back-end organization was financing Shindo. Also, you know for a fact, Dabi, that if I told you she was pregnant you would have run back here before I could catch your ass. I needed to wait to give us an opening with Shindo, especially since I didn't want (y/n) hating me."

You looked down at your hands and the guilt was eating you alive. Keigo, Dabi, Katsuki, and Kendo...they all didn't like Shindo. They all had mentioned to you one way or another that they didn't like him and you didn't want to believe it. He was just so sweet to you...he did anything you asked for...he took you out countless times and convinced you he genuinely cared. Maybe you drove him to this point where he snapped by saying no to him too many times. Maybe this was your fault and you brought it on yourself.

"Do you think..." You started off by speaking quietly as if it were your internal voice echoing into the open air. "...that it was my fault he ended up like this?" You weren't looking at Dabi's face to see his reaction but Keigo stared at you incredulously.

"W-what? You can't be serious (y/n)."

"I just-," you hesitated while thinking back to your past experiences with Shindo. This seemed so out of nowhere. He made promises to you. You had to have done something to make such a nice guy get to this point. Maybe you were the asshole here...the villain. "I can't help but feel like I must have done something to make him reach this point."