Chapter 3- Making Deals

Shindo led the way towards downtown where some of the small, family-owned street food vendors were still open. Little hole-in-the-wall joints with big hearts, hot food, and sweet drinks were perfect for nights like tonight where you found yourself buried in work.

"There's this fried chicken place that's kinda hidden, but it's a secret gem. I promise you!" Shindo's smile was contagious as he walked next to you on the streets of Tokyo. Sometimes when you saw the neon lights of the city, you forgot how you started off living as a homeless orphan on the streets. It filled you with childlike inspiration...it made you feel like the possibilities for your potential were endless. It was hard growing up after your parents died, even more so since you did it alone, but you were thankful to have won the favor of All Might who supported you from a distance.

"Fried chicken, huh?" You gave your own smile as you looked down at a rock you just lightly kicked. You changed out of your hero costume only to wear some comfortable streetwear. It was nice to enjoy the city with someone for once. "I'll have to tell Hawks about it the next time I see him," you finished as you looked up to see Shindo give you a lighthearted expression. He seemed so positive and bright...like the sun.

"Well, aren't you thoughtful...but uh...not to be mean or anything but like...wouldn't that be uh...cannibalism...?" Shindo's words made you release a loud giggling laugh that brought tears to your eyes. The lesser-known pro-hero's cheeks flushed with pink at the sight of your weightless glee, but he couldn't help but smile with you.

"Oh god. Hawks loves chicken. It's like his favorite food. I've never seen someone pound through so much yakitori in my life," you chuckled. You missed your hero partner. For a while, you worked as a sidekick for him and Endeavor until you were ready for the responsibility of being an independent hero. While Endeavor was far more strict and taught you the logistics of heroism, Hawks was your best friend and supporter. Hopefully, he would come back from his undercover job soon.

"Hey, the more you know! The man's got taste!" Shindo placed his hands in his pants pockets as he walked with you. It was quiet for a moment but you felt him take glances at you occasionally. His obsidian eyes would skirt right before focusing ahead on where he was going...only do it again. Every time you caught him, his cheeks only grew darker. "Say...Astral..."

"You can call me (y/n) off the clock." This made him smile.

"Okay, (y/n). What made you wanna become a hero? You seem really passionate about what you do if you're burying yourself in all that work. I just was thinkin' about it today. It's...it's nice to see. It makes me want to try harder too." Shindo's words make your heart flutter in your chest as your cheeks flushed. It wasn't like you weren't used to people commending you for your work but somehow this felt more...personal or even intimate.

"Well, I lost my parents when I was young. All Might's old nemesis, All for One, killed my parents while looking for my quirk. All Might felt responsible for it and ended up saving me from living in an orphanage by being my benefactor until I turned eighteen. He always told me that the way for me to pay him back would be to become a proper hero, a symbol of peace like him. So I worked my ass off at UA, pursued the hardest internships I could, and spent each day living with the intent of making All Might proud."

Your heart clenched at the thought of your old mentor. He really grew fond of your old pal Midoriya and even Bakugo. It was part of the reason why those two were climbing the hero charts so quickly. All Might never stopped helping others and you wanted to be able to support him one day as he supported you.

Shindo's eyebrows furrowed and he reached over to place a hand on your shoulder just as the two of you arrived at the food vendor. He looked genuinely sad for you as if he felt your pain.