Chapter 9- Birds of a Feather

You shuffled out of the apartment with Shindo to get fresh air, the floral spring winds brushed against your skin and revitalized your lungs. You felt so much better as Shindo accompanied you to the local restaurant where the two of you sat on the bar stools that were easily accessible by the sidewalk. It was exciting, and you opened yourself to new possibilities instead of closing yourself off in secret.

"Wow, the food smells good," you couldn't help but comment as braised beef and warm rice buns were being plated for another customer.

"You got that right," Shindo agreed. His hand rested on your lower back as you adjusted on your wooden stool, sliding you in closer to the countertop. Once you were settled, he made himself comfortable and ordered two glasses of water and a tea pot for you two to share. "Normally for a night like tonight I'd order sake but figured you might rather de-stress with tea instead," Shindo grinned.

"Fair and accurate," you gave a half-smile in return. The menu was fairly limited but just from smelling those braised beef buns, you knew what you wanted. "I am pretty sure I could scarf down like 900 of those buns. They smell so damn good."

"Maybe not 900 cause you don't pay me enough to buy that many," Shindo teased with a wink and a nudge.

"Oh shut up you say that like you're broke. You make so much more than the majority of heroes, let alone the civilian population," you rolled your eyes with a hint of a curl in your lips.

"Not rich enough for 900 buns! Although that would be interesting to watch," Shindo chuckled.

The two of you had harmless banter as you ate at the restaurant, finally getting him off your mind just enough to enjoy a meal. This feeling in your chest was so empty and vacant but you couldn't understand why. It wasn't like you were dating Dabi...but he fueled a burning desire inside of you more than anything else. He wasn't this incubus that fucked you ruthlessly and left. The extraordinary sex was just a part of what he was like.

Dabi cooked for you...he made you coffee in the morning...he ate dinner and laughed through movies with you. Everything about him for the last several months screamed domestic feelings but there was nothing official there. Your heart knew deep down inside that you missed him...and his betrayal cut you more than if burned you himself.

"Hey...(y/n)...you okay?" You blinked, suddenly dazed as Shindo's voice broke through your thoughts. His dark eyes were round in concern and he was leaning against his hand propped on the counter, thick biceps flexed.

"Yeah...sorry just was in thought."

"About what?"

You hesitated. You thought about telling him but seeing the way he looked at you...you were smart enough to tell that would break his heart.

"Just still thinking about HQ." Shindo's expression dropped but he looked more concerned than anything else.

"It wasn't your fault. If anything, you saved my life and Kendo's by pulling us out of that office. Bakugo, Midoriya, and Todoroki too. You said it yourself there was something going on. It's our job now to make sure nothing like this happens again. We just gotta keep going and moving forward." You were quiet for a moment, looking down at the little bun that you were halfway through eating. It was your fourth one...it just tasted a little funny. 

Shindo slid his large hand ever so delicately on the knee closest to him, the veins in his hand catching the light. His palm was warm and comforting but his next sentence pushed your stomach over the edge.

"Everything is how it should be. The bad guy is dead and the heroes can rebuild." Your eyes darted towards Shindo and you put your food down. Everything in your body chilled like ice. You could hear nothing but your heartbeat and in that moment, Shindo's hand felt like it was scorching you.