CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: Bottoms Up

Start from the beginning

"The festival is lovely. Everyone seems to be having a great time." I commented, crossing one leg over the other and refusing to look across at Kid and his female company. It was bugging me far more than I would have ever expected.

"Well, we're usually travelling, so we like to throw a big party for the citizens at least once a year, when we're home." The barrel of a man stretched his arm across the back of the couch, right behind me, and I flickered a glance to Kid. He had noticed, and he was trying to hide his agitation.

As petty as it would have seemed to anybody else, to piss him off further, I placed a hand on Cognac's knee, offering him my first actual smile since entering the room.
"That's so kind of you. I'm sure they all appreciate it very much."

Kid's reaction wasn't the only thing I was after, though. I wanted to seem less hostile towards the sketchy captain, so I could case the joint without worrying about being caught.

"Pardon me..." Before I could lay on any more flirty physical moves, Killer wandered over and nudged me aside, slotting himself between me and Cognac. He had a drink in his hand, complete with straw, but it looked as though he had only taken a sip or two, if any at all.

Slamming his glass down on the table in front of him, Kid motioned to Barley for more, his lacking brow deeply furrowed.
"Ya really wan' test my patience, girl?" He growled, addressing me directly, complete with a pointed finger. "I told ya to get over 'ere. Now."

Begrudgingly, I stood up, stiffly rounding the low table between the seats to stand in front of the red head.
"Fine. I'm here. What do you wa-"

Kid showed no manners at all when he grabbed me by the wrist and yanked me down into his lap, one arm immediately curling to trap me by the waist, the other being used to shoo the women away.
"Come back later." He didn't even glance to them when he spoke, and they skulked away, over to other men in the room.

He really thinks he can just grab me and pose me how he wants, doesn't he? Asshole...

Much to my dismay, I felt my chest flutter, but I still avoided his intense eyes, even though they were now so close to my face.
"You ain't allowed t' move for th' rest of th' night. Teach ya t' not do what you're told..." He muttered near my ear, losing hold of his grammar the more his spoke.

"What if I need to take a piss? You just want me to go right here? Don't test me. I'll do it." I ignored Cognac's amused laughter as I stared at the far wall instead of Kid's face, though I was hyper aware of how he was holding onto me. His grip was protective. No, it was possessive.

"Then I'll rub ya smug nose in'it." He hissed back, snatching his newly filled glass from Barley before throwing it back, dripping some onto my shoulder as he did so. It smelled weird, but there was no way I could tell Kid not to drink any more. He was too far gone at this point.

"This your girlfriend, Eustass? She's a good match for you. Lots of...spunk." The way Cognac spoke made me unsure whether it was meant as a compliment or an insult, but I was a little too distracted to care when Kid forced me right up against his chest.

I could tell he was having trouble focusing, and his neck just wasn't able to support his head well enough, so it was bobbing about like a bottle in the ocean.
"Tch...She ain't..." Kid shook himself a little, rubbing his hand down his face with a drowsy kind of irritation. "M' girl...friend...Fuckin' hell..."

I need to tell him about Livewire, but I don't think he'd even register what I'm saying...Surely he can't be that drunk already..?