Stranger in the Park

Start from the beginning

I opted for the traditional butter and honey. “I should say dig in but…” Aunt Bertha said as she motioned to me devouring my pancake. I froze at the thought of my becoming improper, but they just burst out of laughter.

“Oh darling you are so consistent.” Mother commented as she passed me a table napkin. I didn’t know what she meant. “You see darling, you love pancakes so much. They’re your favorite.”

“You hate the fat American ones and you love the French crepes.” Peter added as he came out of the kitchen carrying a jar of chocolate chips.

“I do?” I murmured

He handed me a cookie as I deliberately munched it up. “Yup, as much as you love chocolate chips.” He smirked as he messed up my hair, making everybody laugh again.

“With that personality of yours, Megan, you’ll regain your memory in no time.” Aunt Martha spoke, her pale gray eyes twinkling. “I hope so too.” I beamed back at her who motioned me to continue with my pancakes.

I noticed them rarely touch their food. They’d have a few bites then go excuse themselves to the kitchen one by one. Anyway, I look forward to my morning walk with Peter who has been steeling my butter.

*

“So, you’ll be attending school on Monday?” Peter asked as we walked out of our gates. “School?” I asked as a glimpse of my memories flashed before my eyes.

“You know. Teachers, classmates…” He elaborated looking at me like I’m not supposed to know.

“I know.” I barked. I may have amnesia but I kind of remember stuff too when I hear or see them. “I just think I’m not ready yet. What if they ask me stuff which I don’t remember?”

“Here, take this with you wherever you go.” He handed me a pocket sized notebook.

“What’s this for?” I asked as I flipped its pages.

“for your identity” He answered leaving me puzzled. “It has all your information on it. From your name to your last attended school to your favorite colors. Almost everything I think.”

The notebook had fifty leaves written behind it. And as I flipped it again, I saw every line has something written on it. No page was left blank. “You made this?”

“Yup, thought you might need it so I had to finish it up last night.”

I was quite impressed, not only with the beautiful handwriting but with the effort of making it as well. “You wrote all these in just one night? One hundred pages in one night?” Though the notebook was small, so was his handwriting.

“Yup. Hey if I knew you’ll be having amnesia, I would have written that a month ago.” He reasoned as we stopped by an ice cream van.

We were sitting quietly at one of the park benches looking around. There were children playing tag, nannies chasing five year-olds, elderly couples walking their dogs, and even teenagers making out near the bushes. I just smiled as I noticed how people of vast differences can be in one place at peace. If only vampires could live in peace with the humans, everything would’ve been perfect. A sudden odd though came to me as I averted my attention. I noticed the silence building up between me and my friend.